Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch break in - Textralia OZ700

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 01:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch break in - Textralia OZ700

I just put in a new Textralia OZ700, along with slave cylinder, master cylinder and throw out bearing. What is the break in procedure on this? Ive never installed a new clutch so I have no idea.

Also starting out in 1st or reverse, it feels like wheel hop. Is this called chatter? Will it go away as it gets broken in? Maybe I didnt hook up the torque arm right? lol
Old 06-23-2010, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes, that is chatter.

From what I remember when I installed an OZ700, Textralia's break-in mileage was pretty low. Maybe 250 miles? Maybe 100? Most are typically 500. In any event, drive it in stop-and-go type situations. Don't count highway miles as break-in. Try not to slip it excessively during break in. You want the disk and flywheel to bed but not overheat yet. Once the break in miles are up, Textralia told me to go dump it at 5k a few times, and that should get rid of any remnant chatter.

FWIW I had a good experience with the clutch for a street driver. When broken in there was almost no chatter and it was about as slip-able as a stock clutch. Held well on the motor, but started to slip when I installed spray. I think the 700 ft*lb rating they give it may be a bit optimistic.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the help. I was driving it around for a bit yesterday, its so hard to start out smoothly in 1st especially. After Im rolling it shifts like butter! I went to an empty street and just practiced starting. On my old clutch I could slowly let off the clutch and it would pull me forward smoothly. When I try to do that on this thing, I get that wheel hop feeling. What exactly would I do to slip the clutch? Ive only been driving stick for like 2 months so I dont know that much about it...

Also I tightened up my torque arm mount a lot and that seemed to help. haha.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never really have broken in any of my Textralia clutches. I just drive around normal for like 100 miles just to make sure everything is mechanically solid and then I pull on the car.

My new twin disk has 250 miles on it and I have been doing some hard launches in 2nd gear at 45 mph.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I wasn't aware there was a break in for the Textrailia clutches?? I talked to textrailia and they said no as well as a few sponsors. Mine had maybe 10 miles of break in then hit the dyno, then had a nice 4+ hr drive on the hwy where i could test out the new cam haha. As for chatter, mine has always been dead silent

Quick Reply: Clutch break in - Textralia OZ700