Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

cultch or master?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cultch or master?

so for about a yr now ive been havin problems shifting under acceleration, ive bled it several times then about a couple of weeks ago my master died so i replaced it with a stock one from a fellow member on here said it had bout 70k when he took it out, just to get it running again... well its still doing the same thing under acceleration though i cant grab anything other than 2nd. i bought the car with 70k on it and am not sure if the clutch has ever been replaced but it has 125k on it now. so i dont know if i should go ahead and get a new tick or get a clutch or slave possibly i do know that im in college and moneys alittle tight and i really just wanna be able to get this damn thing into gear! any help is appreciated..

Thanks,
Tony
Old 06-30-2010, 06:48 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The slave could be dead too, FYI.

IMO for the milage and having peddle crash issues, just replace everything. I would assume the clutch and slave are stock and that could be 99% of the reason why you have peddle crash.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're sure its bled and this second master is still giving you the same problems that really just leaves the clutch or slave. At 125K miles its probably time for a new clutch anyways. Since you're worried about cash I would just do an LS7 clutch with a new slave. If the problem is still there afterwards then you can always go back and replace the master later. The LS7 will be a nice upgrade too especially if you add some power later.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for all the help i think im just gonna go ahead and take the tranny out and get a better look at things then just buy what i need.

tony
Old 07-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

you have to drill the line that goes from the master to the slave. i had the same problems. there is a restrictor in the line right at the master. its called the drill mod. trust me it will fix everything. if u stick a drill bit in the line you can feel where its at.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

put it in 5th around 50-60. floor the gas pedal. if the rpm's surge up with no acceleration, then its your clutch going out or giving you problems. if you're losing pressure at the pedal its either the slave or master. as said above, do the drill mod on the master cylinder line, or get an upgraded master. if that doesnt help then move onto the slave
Old 07-02-2010, 03:06 PM
Teching In

helpful info, I'm havin similar problems...

Quick Reply: cultch or master?