Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clunk / bang when shifting or disengaging clutch

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 161 Likes on 140 Posts

Like many of you, I've got the same clunking sound between shifts coming from what sounds like the rear.

When I recently did my master cylinder/slave cylinder replacement, I noticed some play in the differential. I suspected thats what was causing the clunking but after reading this entire thread, now I'm not so sure .
Old 02-13-2012, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump for an answer to this!
Old 02-13-2012, 11:25 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think we can conclude that the noise can come from various locations, check all the locations mentioned above and you should be able to find the problem
Old 04-12-2012, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

Hey guys, just wanted to add some new info on this thread. I have (had) two "clunks" if you will:
1) happens BEFORE I upshift when I push the clutch in at speed to switch gears - feels like the clutch doesn't let go smoothly - feels like the drivetrain shifts underneath the car and makes a clunk or thud sound.
2) happens AFTER I have already up shifted and am taking my foot back off the clutch pedal - once again feels like there is slack in the drivetrain and it pops or clunks as the clutch hooks again.

If you are having problem #2, I had the U-Joints on the driveshaft replaced and this completely fixed the problem. The car will now go back into gear smoother and i can shift faster. Still no fix for problem #1, which is very annoying.

There seemed to be people with a few different kinds of clunks, so thought I would share in case any one of you had problem #2. By the way, new fluids and a transmission mount did nothing to fix either problem, just FYI. If anyone has any feedback on problem #1, I would love to hear about it.

Last edited by Onyx_Black_Z28; 04-16-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine got a little better when i replaced my rear end with an S60, and bought a new drive shaft. I also believe my trans could use a rebuild. Other than that, i don't know what else there is to replace. I think it's just due to poor clearances in the trans, coupled with Fbodies having no sound deadening which makes things sound worse than they are. I also have a Poly trans mount, which only seems to amplify everything. I'm so sick of chasing down vibrations and clunks on this car, that I'm just driving it as is, and ignoring it. ha ha.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by deelong4002
Mine got a little better when i replaced my rear end with an S60, and bought a new drive shaft. I also believe my trans could use a rebuild. Other than that, i don't know what else there is to replace. I think it's just due to poor clearances in the trans, coupled with Fbodies having no sound deadening which makes things sound worse than they are. I also have a Poly trans mount, which only seems to amplify everything. I'm so sick of chasing down vibrations and clunks on this car, that I'm just driving it as is, and ignoring it. ha ha.
Thanks so much for chiming back in as requested, OP! Hate to hear you never actually came to a conclusion - I am still trying to find one. Best friend's car doesn't do this AT ALL, so I know it's possible to have a functioning F-body without a ton of drivetrain slack. If anyone else has feedback, please post it up!
Old 04-21-2012, 03:09 AM
On The Tree

Great news - this problem was COMPLETELY fixed for me with a Tick master cylinder. I don't even know how to describe the difference - it feels like the drivetrain is about 5x more firm after the install. I had none of the typical master cylinder issues you read about with the f-body.. no problems going into 1st/Reverse, no problems getting locked out at high RPM shifts. My problems were more pronounced at part throttle. I know there are some in this thread have already done a tick install with no luck, but it worked for me. For those of you who haven't already done the U-Joints, that also made a definite difference for me. Good luck!
Old 08-30-2012, 06:12 PM
Staging Lane

Mine does same as op's and its driving me nuts. Only bangs when trying to be easy on it.
2000 ta m6.
600 miles tops on all of the following.
408ci fresh rebuild
Level 2 t56 from tick performance
Tick performance adjustable clutch master
Monster 3 clutch, pressure plate, flywheel
Gm throwout and pilot
10 bolt rearend rebuild with 4.10

I'm going to do poly motor mounts and u joints. I'll post results after install.

Soooo annoying
Old 08-30-2012, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Has anyone checked the factory torque arm to see if that is where the clunk is comming from? Anyone have this clunk and have an after market adjustable torque arm?
Old 09-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Teching In

mine was the input shaft moving around after the pilot bearing busted.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:02 AM
On The Tree

I have a IMO adjustable torque arm and have plenty of slop in the drivetrain. I replaced tranny mount and that did nothing. Next i think I will do u joints and if that doesn't work I'm doin motor mounts.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

"IMO" meant umi lol
Old 09-13-2012, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

happens to me also i think alot has to do with a poly trans mount changing it to a delco and going to see what happens
Old 10-15-2012, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

I just did poly motor mounts over the weekend and it seemed to help a lot. There is still slop in my drivetrain though, just not as bad. My u-joints look fine but I might just replace them to rule those out also.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Bump. Any more thoughts, results or fixes? Same problem, 98 z28, 88k miles, longtubes, exhaust, intake, wires and plugs, stage 2 clutch, eaton posi unit, gm 4.10s... Same noise same issue. Hopefully fix tomorrow...?
Old 06-14-2013, 08:59 AM
Teching In

I've got a 94 z28 LT1 T56 car with the older style throwout. 106k, pretty sure the trans has never been rebuilt. I'm also chasing down what seems to be the same issue.

After sitting for 6 months, I just did a RAM powergrip clutch, poly engine and trans mounts, new UMI tunnel brace adjustable torque arm, and LCA's. I also put on a used OE 3 rivers aluminum DS.

I don't recall any clunking before I installed these parts, but I have it now, or at least it's pronounced enough that I now notice it. I have the solid bronze pilot bushing which I inspected and found to be in good condition so I did not replace.

The clutch engages smooth and I don't get any crazy noise or banging at low speeds.

I get the clunk in gear when I go on and off power. If I'm on the freeway, for instance, and I put it into 4th or 5th and transition from load to no load it clunks every time.
It literally sounds like something is hitting the floor boards. There's gotta be some slack in between the axles and the output shaft.

This weekend I'm going to rebuild the rear end and install some 4:10's...and try to get the ring and pinion a bit more tightened up. I do have some minor vibration which feels like it's coming from the rear end, hence the overhaul, but no other drive-line vibration that is noteworthy.

I'll also be inspecting the output shaft play and u-joints again.

This car is also sitting on all new umi tubular suspension up front, 3pt SFC's, bilstein shocks, umi panhard, new end links and sway bar bushings, so there's no way my noise is coming from anything but the trans, DS, or rear end.

I'll report back what I find and whether or not the rear end rebuild improves anything.

The next course of action is to pull the trans and get it rebuilt to rule that out. Luckily it comes out in about 45 mins without that stupid torque arm in the way
Old 04-02-2014, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Bump!!
Old 04-03-2014, 09:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Legal Tender
I've got a 94 z28 LT1 T56 car with the older style throwout. 106k, pretty sure the trans has never been rebuilt. I'm also chasing down what seems to be the same issue.

After sitting for 6 months, I just did a RAM powergrip clutch, poly engine and trans mounts, new UMI tunnel brace adjustable torque arm, and LCA's. I also put on a used OE 3 rivers aluminum DS.

I don't recall any clunking before I installed these parts, but I have it now, or at least it's pronounced enough that I now notice it. I have the solid bronze pilot bushing which I inspected and found to be in good condition so I did not replace.

The clutch engages smooth and I don't get any crazy noise or banging at low speeds.

I get the clunk in gear when I go on and off power. If I'm on the freeway, for instance, and I put it into 4th or 5th and transition from load to no load it clunks every time.
It literally sounds like something is hitting the floor boards. There's gotta be some slack in between the axles and the output shaft.

This weekend I'm going to rebuild the rear end and install some 4:10's...and try to get the ring and pinion a bit more tightened up. I do have some minor vibration which feels like it's coming from the rear end, hence the overhaul, but no other drive-line vibration that is noteworthy.

I'll also be inspecting the output shaft play and u-joints again.

This car is also sitting on all new umi tubular suspension up front, 3pt SFC's, bilstein shocks, umi panhard, new end links and sway bar bushings, so there's no way my noise is coming from anything but the trans, DS, or rear end.

I'll report back what I find and whether or not the rear end rebuild improves anything.

The next course of action is to pull the trans and get it rebuilt to rule that out. Luckily it comes out in about 45 mins without that stupid torque arm in the way
Did you get your issue resolved?
Old 09-19-2016, 07:51 PM
Teching In

My 01 ss just started clunking at a stop. If I shift to reverse or 1st I get the clunk while sliding it into the gear. Don't notice it while shifting at speed.only does it when hot. Just tried in garage and it is fine.yesterday after some canyon carving it started doing it. In neutral at very low speeds it also sounds like the diff is clicking like my old locker used to in my jeep. But less click click, and more clunk clunk. Dif and trans just flushed.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:08 PM

this the noise y'all are hearing? Just swapped my S14 used trans...

Quick Reply: Clunk / bang when shifting or disengaging clutch