Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clunk / bang when shifting or disengaging clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LSX_Nissan
this the noise y'all are hearing? Just swapped my S14 used trans...

trim C5C9B9F1 D211 4426 9F05 D3DB06E08688 - YouTube
That is not the clunking we're referring too, I think what we're speaking about is when were at lower RPM'S or between shifts. My car clunks around 1500-1700 RPM no matter what gear as long as it's not under a load. You Sir I think have something totally different going on. Good luck on tracking your clunking down...
Old 09-30-2016, 09:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pulled the drive line today and performed he same test, no trans noise... thinking my subframe might be causing it
Old 10-27-2016, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

It has been a few years since I posted here. My clunking is coming from the transmission. It has some backlash. I disconnected the driveshaft and left the transmission in gear. Then I tried to rotate the tailshaft on the transmission. There is some play. Not much but I think this is where my clunking noise comes from between shifting gears. Maybe Tick Performance can help me.... I just accept the fact I don't drive a Corvette.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've read this entire 6 year old thread with interest. I have a bone stock T56 drive train at 18K miles and have never had any clunks, bangs, or problems with shifting at any RPM, or into any gear, in any situation.

I agree with what someone stated early on that problems can begin with mods, especially clutch mods where the entire drive train balance is now a bit out of whack. New vibrations and bangs are almost certain....or at least things that were quiet when stock, are now quite noticeable. The factory never designed these to be noise and vibration free. And with age and/or mods, the quirks really start to show up.
Old 04-06-2024, 12:21 PM
Teching In

I'm glad this is a common thing, my 2001 ss 6-speed just started doing this, its bone stock and the only thing aftermarket on it is the front stabilizer bar because the ears started splitting. I just recently got mine out of storage for the season and just noticed it started doing the same clunking as mentioned with everyone else. If I'm driving aggressive it doesn't clunk but when cruising, I push the clutch pedal in shift into desired gear and let the clutch out, as soon as the clutch pedal is fully released the clunk happens. Again my 01 is bone stock 6-speed slp car with 49k miles and it just started doing it.
Old 04-06-2024, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

Me again...years later....I replaced my stock rear axle for a Moser 12-Bolt 3.73 gears. The clunk has went away. So it was my factory 10-bolt rear causing the clunking. We have a little slop in our M6 transmissions anyway so my factory rear developed some slop. Maybe rear gear back-lash was causing it. Anyway it's gone now with my Moser 12-Bolt....oh and If I had to do it over I would have bought a Strange 12-Bolt. Moser uses blind threaded holes for the torque arm. Have to apply blue loctite to keep them from backing out. Strange uses long bolts with nuts on the other end like our factory 10-bolts are.
Old 04-06-2024, 01:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SSmith
Me again...years later....I replaced my stock rear axle for a Moser 12-Bolt 3.73 gears. The clunk has went away. So it was my factory 10-bolt rear causing the clunking. We have a little slop in our M6 transmissions anyway so my factory rear developed some slop. Maybe rear gear back-lash was causing it. Anyway it's gone now with my Moser 12-Bolt....oh and If I had to do it over I would have bought a Strange 12-Bolt. Moser uses blind threaded holes for the torque arm. Have to apply blue loctite to keep them from backing out. Strange uses long bolts with nuts on the other end like our factory 10-bolts are.
You stated years ago it was coming from your transmission? Either way I'm not trying to argue. I just put my Camaro on the lift at work and did a little digging I found I have a rear U joint loose, to be honest its not very loose but I can move the driveshaft forward and back. I'm not doubting it could be the 10 bolt I haven't heard many great things about them. I guess I'll try the u joint sometime soon and post back about it. I'm not confident it will fix the clunk but worth a shot since its the cheaper than a whole new rear end.
Old 04-06-2024, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

My transmission does have a little play in gear when I rotate the drive-shaft by hand. What I was saying is my rear gear in my stock 10-bolt had play also. By removing my rear axle and replacing it with a Moser 12-Bolt, that most of my clunk sounds are now gone. I still do have some drive-shaft clunk but it is way better than before. Yes check your u-joints but you might also remove your rear axle housing cover and check your rear gear back lash....it may have play in it. No clue how to tighten it. That's a topic for another search.

Quick Reply: Clunk / bang when shifting or disengaging clutch