Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Phoenix Friction Clutch Audition

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phoenix Friction Clutch Audition

Howdy ya'll. Figured I'd make my 1st post to go along with the new clutch going in. I'm sure no one has heard of this company before, and I am going to do a review of how the clutch performs. I am in no way affiliated, nor am I endorsing them, just giving an honest opinion of how the products perform. Now, let's get the formality's out of the way...
I have a '99 Camaro SS (64K original mi, bought for $6k ), with the standard bolt-ons, LS6 intake, 1 3/4" headers, Magnaflow exhaust, Bilstein shocks and struts, new plugs and wires, and a tune by LMR in Houston. The car put down 360 hp to the wheels and 350 lb ft tq.
Alright, clutch in question is from Phoenix Friction. I recieved a new clutch, pressure plate, throwout / pilot bearing, and new GM flywheel. I had to purchase the slave cylinder separtely which they sell for $55 NEW! All together, after shipping from New Jersey to Texas, I spent $450. All parts have a 12 month, 12K mile warranty.
The clutch I bought is their enrty level, or "stage 1" if you want to call it that. Good till 350 hp/tq + 20% (70 xtra hp/tq by my count) because they supposedly under rate their product. I was recomended this kit by a guy named Kurt, who I believe is one of the owners or at least a big wig of some sort.
So, we will see, I'll have it all buttoned back up by monday, then off to the San Antonio area for the break-in. If anyone wants to meet while Im up there just let me know.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, almost forgot. Please forgive my noob-ism, as I am new to domestics and this site. Through the lurking and post searching I've done, I've seen some of you guys be a bit hard on some of the newbies (granted most of them deserved it), I am not trying to "stir the pot" or cause any problems, I just want to come to this sight for questions/comments/concerns without the fear of being flamed by more knowledgable people than myself. Also, Im not new to performance or racing by any means. I was on houston-imports.com as ZX-Rated II 550rwhp silver 1990 TT 300ZX m5, and that was with 15lbs boost and w/ out the spray. I know a few of you, the Powell's, and I think a guy named Zac that used to have a kenny bell mid 90's cobra (might be getting the name confused with powells little brother). Anywho, little brother Powell should remember me, I had the pleasure of taking a bit of his money one night after a his black vette had trouble keeping up after a 50 roll on i-45 just poking at him a bit, Im sure 90% of yall would beat my *** like a red headed step child. Anyways thanks and have a great day.

Quick Reply: Phoenix Friction Clutch Audition