Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

lt1 flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 04:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt1 flywheel

i have a vibration that feels like it is in my trans. T56. i pulled out the trans. and was looking at the clutch and flywheel. i was under the impression that the lt1 motor was a enternaly balanced motor which would make the flywheel 0 or neutral balanced but my flywheel has a small weight on it. so my question is is it ballanced with the wieight or with out the weight and then the weight is put on? and what is the weight for. thanks
Old 07-20-2010, 06:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have a lt1 from the factory and not rebuilt then you need the weight on the flywheel and if it was rebuilt you'll have to see how they balanced your motor
Old 07-20-2010, 03:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

everything is stock except for the flywheel, i bought it as is and did not notice it before because i never took it on the high way at 80 miles an hour. it is not bad but i know something is going on with it.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

is the vibration at all speeds or developes the faster you go?

if vibration with engine on but not moving...possible balance issue with FW & PP. you could have the PP zero balanced to rule that out. leave FW weighted as it is. a stock or replacement FW for stock external balance motor always lines up the same way on motor because of dowel pin. the PP stock has a paint dab to line up with FW but replacement clutch's typically do not so your replacement clutch 'may" not be neutral balance and the source of vibe..

if vibration at higher speeds but not low than u joints or DL angle would be something to check.

Quick Reply: lt1 flywheel