Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

When cold, I grind into 2nd gear, when warm, no grind.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004 | 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I noticed hot or cold, if I go from 5th to go into 4th but do not go into 4th, then back to 5th (traffic was slowing but didnt need to downshift after all) that it will grind going back into 5th if I do it too fast, what gives with that??
-Steve
Old 01-27-2004 | 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

Just use the gas pedal to bring your rpms back up to what they were in 5th before and it shouldn't grind.
Old 01-27-2004 | 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Cal
Well I've owned several carburetor equipped cars and rebuilt many carbs as well, but I don't know what that has to do with clutch operation.

When I had my '67 Firebird, I didn't have a garage and I lived in a very cold part of the country. When I started out in the morning, it's Muncie M21 4-speed was very stiff and hard to get into gear, but it never did grind when I tried to shift under these conditions. It had a mechanical clutch linkage: all pushrods and belcranks, no hydraulics. I didn't always allow warm up time because I was usually late for class.

I also owned an '85 IROC Camaro with a hydraulic clutch for 16 years, and not once did it have this cold shift grind.

We have had a '93 TA with hydraulic clutch since '94, and has never once exhibited the problem. This of course is a 4th gen, but LT1 equipped and you can tell it has a much stiffer clutch than the LS1 cars do.

I bought the 2001 Camaro SS new off the show room floor, and have never banged the syncros, yet it has had the cold grind from the first day I drove it on a cold morning. The SS does this in several ratios, so I don't think it's one bad blocker ring causing it.

The problem may have started with the LS1 cars. So I guess my point here is none of the theories presented so far make sense to me, yet I have no explanation to offer either.

The Carb reference was to the day when you actually had to let a car warm up some before you could get it to move.
remember those days LOL
Cough cough sputter
No with Fuel injection the almost feel like they are ready to go so alot of people start sayin,,, My car wont >>>>>>>>>>> what ever when its cold.
Well yea!!!
you gotta let it warm up some.
You yanks up north with your - 10 degrees and all
Let it warm up some with the clutch out.
then drive it nice till it warms up.
Cold is a Bitch on cars.
Old 01-27-2004 | 09:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by distortion_69
Mine does it in 5th.. Hasn't hurt anything thus far.

Peace,
Ive got a 98 ss with 48k miles and it does it in 5th gear about the first two times i shift into 5th, only on colder days or after the car has not been running. Is this a common problem or somthing to get fixed

Quick Reply: When cold, I grind into 2nd gear, when warm, no grind.