Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Ending the speculation: Blocker rings, who's had them fail?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 04:43 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I'll tell you one thing...my Torco ATF doesn't like EXTREME cold. It has been at or below 0*F here for the past few days, and it doesn't like the 1st to 2nd shift when it is cold. As soon as it warms up, it smooths right back out. Not sure what other trans oil would do in this situation, but I'm not willing to lay on my back in this cold to find out
Old 02-07-2007, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Krab- Man, that'd be pretty cool...I think those would be the first photo's I've seen of used blockers...

SladeX- The most common argument used is that the synthetic "eats up" "degrades" "attacks" or some other "" type of comment to the blocker material.

Bugsquawsher- Sounds like whatever they put in didn't have the right FM in it...is that a clutch type rear end?

Chuck
Old 02-08-2007, 12:46 AM
TECH Addict

I've read them all before, eats blocker rings, degrades etc. I took the dive and tried mobil 1 and found no issues. I figure if it does do something, the rebuild will be worth it on my part to get something improved inside ie steel 3-4 shift fork, upgrade to 01-02 blockers, replace any worn syncros/gears with some micronited stuff etc. It's been a hell of a lot of miles and a **** load of track runs. It's still driving find, now with the LS7 clutch letting me abuse it worse since Oct. If my blockers had degraded into **** I think it would have failed on me by now...

we've had some nasty cold temps here, a few 0 F days...

while my transmission seemed a bit more "notchy" in this weather, the only thing it doesn't like is a quick shift, if I shift 1/3 slower, it goes into gear fine. If I try a speed shift, it WILL grind a bit. Within 5 mins of driving, it pretty much feels normal, but I still wouldn't get near a speed shift it until it's been driven for a good half hour and everything is up to temp.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chucky2
Krab-

Bugsquawsher- Sounds like whatever they put in didn't have the right FM in it...is that a clutch type rear end?

Chuck

I don't know much about Ricer rearends.
I just thought it was a typical dealership response to warrenty work.
I do know if you don't use the right stuff in a 10 bolts it will crap out on you.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Well I'll tell you one thing...my Torco ATF doesn't like EXTREME cold. It has been at or below 0*F here for the past few days, and it doesn't like the 1st to 2nd shift when it is cold. As soon as it warms up, it smooths right back out. Not sure what other trans oil would do in this situation, but I'm not willing to lay on my back in this cold to find out
Steve, you never had the S.F. stuff in there when it was this cold??
Old 02-08-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just finished rebuilding mine... I put in Mobil 1 synthetic about 5k miles ago, the blocker rings were fairly glazed over and were really thin. Third and 4th gear both went out.

Last edited by Phlip00WS6; 02-08-2007 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:01 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Steve, you never had the S.F. stuff in there when it was this cold??
Nope...the S.F. stuff was only in my car when I lived in Florida, and for the very first part of my time up here (it was still late summer/early fall). It certainly never saw the sub-zero temps this Torco is seeing...
Old 02-09-2007, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

What is the SF?
Old 02-09-2007, 10:50 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by gun5l1ng3r
What is the SF?
Specialty Formulations.

Quick Reply: Ending the speculation: Blocker rings, who's had them fail?