Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Troubleshooting Spec Stage 5

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 07:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Troubleshooting Spec Stage 5

Hi Guys,

First of all the spec stage five has served me well. I have close to 150 passes on it, so I am happy with its performance.

The problem I am having is that in the pits and staging lanes the clutch slips untill it has some heat in it. When I do my burnout and launch the clutch perrformed properly. The car would also roll if it was on a slight incline with the trans in gear. I have the clutch out now and nothing looks abnormal. I spoke with a rep from spec when I was at Zmax last weekend and he said he had never heard of such a condition. After seeing the condition of the clutch my guess is that it is a hydraulic issue but like I say I am really just guessing.

If it matters this is a track only car that has seen its share of 5000-6000 rpm launches.

I am hoping someone has experienced a similiar condition.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:53 AM
8 Second Club

What do u have for a master?
Old 08-11-2010, 09:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SSPerformance
What do u have for a master?

Stock Master Cylinder
Old 08-11-2010, 09:48 AM
FormerVendor

It seems that there are two things to consider based on your discription. The first, relative to your slippage, is the thickness of the clutch disc. It is possible that the disc is simply worn out. If you can mic the disc thickness I will be better able to provide info relative to its state of wear.

Additionally, the issue of creep would most likely be relative to release issues associated with bleed-by in the hydraulic system. Have you noticed any evidence of a leak in the bell or under the car, or even on the firewall? Take a look and let me know what you find. Thanks!
Old 08-11-2010, 10:05 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
It seems that there are two things to consider based on your discription. The first, relative to your slippage, is the thickness of the clutch disc. It is possible that the disc is simply worn out. If you can mic the disc thickness I will be better able to provide info relative to its state of wear.

Additionally, the issue of creep would most likely be relative to release issues associated with bleed-by in the hydraulic system. Have you noticed any evidence of a leak in the bell or under the car, or even on the firewall? Take a look and let me know what you find. Thanks!
Hello,
Thanks for posting. I am in contact with Danny Smith about the condition I am experiencing.

He gave me some measurements, I just need to check them.
As far as leaks go, everything is nice and dry. I sent Danny some pics so he could have a look at them. You guys have been very helpful. I wasn't second guessing Danny by posting on here, I just thought somone in the LS1 community might have experienced a similiar issue.
Thanks
Old 08-11-2010, 10:33 AM
FormerVendor

No worries! I saw your post and thought I chime in with help...no need to apologize. If you need anything else from me just PM me or give me a call. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Troubleshooting Spec Stage 5