Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Aluminum flywheel, yey or ney...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 01:53 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by X-ray
So a clutch dump is actually easier on the clutch than slipping it?
Yes, it is way better with any clutch that uses ceramic/metallic friction material.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:03 PM
FormerVendor

Our Steel flywheel weighs 24.2-lbs and having just weighed a stock cast unit it weighs 23.4-lbs.

Ultimately, any flywheel, made of any material, can warp under the "right" or wrong conditions. This occurs as a result of heat generated by clutch slippage (whether that be relative to driving style, wear, or over-powering).

TDP, we have thousands of aluminum flywheels in use without issue. Though you are certainly entitled to your own opinion...you know what they say about opinions. You are trying to sell a product and as such I suppose it makes sense that you would be biased towards it. We will just have to agree to disagree. I have been called biased before too...such is life!

Last edited by SPEC-01; 09-15-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:05 PM
FormerVendor

I will agree that slipping the clutch out of the hole will both generate more heat and cause a faster rate of wear. Realize though hat dumping the clutch will put greater stress on other components. It is a trade off of sorts.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Resident

Having had all three, stock, Ram billet, and a Fidenza 12.5, I personally like the lightweight one best. It just feels more responsive. Like said above, You have to do the clutchdump of doom at the track, but that's the ONLY downside I've experienced. The issues with bog and higher takeoff revs during everyday driving mentioned before were for me, eliminated when I went to a 411 gear...and was tolerable with 373's. I can roll out off idle, no problem with a V2cam. Crispy quick rev's, rev matching, etc. make it a fun mod. Unless you're all about the 60' or have a 342 gear, get the aluminum. Not an expert, just my experience.

Last edited by Steve Gunn; 09-15-2010 at 07:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Aluminum flywheel, yey or ney...