Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Who can rebuild my T-56

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 02:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who can rebuild my T-56

I live in Joplin Missouri and no one around here really knows how to rebuild one. I have a harder 3-4 shift fork for it. The tranny was stuck in 4th when I took it out and before that it poped out of 3rd gear sometimes. I just want to get my car running again and I am tired with all of these stupid old tranny guys around here not knowing what the **** to do with my tranny. All the gears looked good to me one guy told me that where the 5th gear fork slides into is broke he said something about a dog leg being broke what ever that is. Thanks for your help
Old 01-26-2004, 07:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02Z28
I live in Joplin Missouri and no one around here really knows how to rebuild one. I have a harder 3-4 shift fork for it. The tranny was stuck in 4th when I took it out and before that it poped out of 3rd gear sometimes. I just want to get my car running again and I am tired with all of these stupid old tranny guys around here not knowing what the **** to do with my tranny. All the gears looked good to me one guy told me that where the 5th gear fork slides into is broke he said something about a dog leg being broke what ever that is. Thanks for your help

Well If you want to ship it to Austin Texas.
I do them for 60 bucks +parts
I bet the only reason its stuck in fourth is a pin sheared off of the shift rod.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:14 PM
10 Second Club

How much would shipping be?
Old 01-30-2004, 04:44 PM
TECH Veteran

What does it matter on the shipping. Isn't your car under warrenty? If not take the "BUG" up on the $60 offer. Cheapest I have seen it was $250 thru D&D. Here I paid almost a $1K

http://www.ddperformance.com/GM%20T56.htm should have the parts you need. Go with the good stuff. They also do repair work.

David
Old 01-30-2004, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

Hey Bugsquawsher, I'm in SA and my tranny grinds really bad in 3rd gear. So when I shift, I go from 2nd to 4th (bought the car that way.) I'd be VERY interested in maybe getting you to take a look and fix it for me. Just let me know what you think it might be and if the offer above still stands..... cool?
Old 01-30-2004, 09:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ritchie
Hey Bugsquawsher, I'm in SA and my tranny grinds really bad in 3rd gear. So when I shift, I go from 2nd to 4th (bought the car that way.) I'd be VERY interested in maybe getting you to take a look and fix it for me. Just let me know what you think it might be and if the offer above still stands..... cool?
Yea
The 60 Bucks is for the tranny brought here out of the car.
How many miles you have on the car?
I bet your blocker rings are wornout and synchro assembly is bad
Maybe even the third gear.
I can't really tell until I get into it.
Email me at pvillianz28@sbcglobal.net.
Also you can order a basic rebuild kit from www.thegearbox.net
Might as well throw in a steel 3-4 steel shift fork.
Tom
Are you part of some fbodyclub down there?
I hear there is something called the SanAntonio Fbody inthusiast?
I would like to hook up with them .
Old 01-31-2004, 12:25 AM
On The Tree

bugsquawsher, thanks for all the info. A few things:

1. The transmission is on the car, I wouldn't know the first thing on taking it out and bringing it to you. Just let me know how much more it would be if I just drive it up to you and have you take it out to work on it.
2. You gave me www.thegearbox.net to order a rebuild kit, but it appears to be parts for just motorcycles, unless I'm not looking hard enough. I think I want to go with a stronger or better rebuild kit, since my plan is to put heads and cam. Let me know what I need to make this happen.
3. I don't have info on SA Fbody enthusiast, but my brother does..... he posts under the name 6']['9, he knows more about it than I do. He'd have all the info on meets and schedules. I've gone with him in his car a few times, but I've not gone in mine.

The 3-4 steel shift fork won't be a problem, since I see it on ddperformance.com for $49. The car has about 52k miles on it, daily driver. Let me know what else you would need from me. I've been driving around like this for about a year, I think it's time to fix it. All other gears are fine except 1st. I'll try to shoot you an e-mail as well. Thanks
Old 01-31-2004, 12:48 AM
10 Second Club

I already took it back to the dealership to get it fixed, and it only lasted a month then it was broke again. The dealerships around here are full of idiots, plus this time I'm putting in a Spec 3 clutch and a steel 3-4 shift fork. Bugsquasher thanks for your help I think the guy who has my tranny now is going to be able to fix it he had it all apart and the clips that hold the syncros in on one of the gears were all gone and one of the snap rings was broke too so nothing to bad.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:42 AM
TECH Regular

Sorry
its www.thegearbox.org
not net. My bad
I really dont' want to get into pullin trannies like I told another person
it turns a 3 hour job into an all day job. I'd have to add another 150 to the price for that.
Originally Posted by ritchie
bugsquawsher, thanks for all the info. A few things:

1. The transmission is on the car, I wouldn't know the first thing on taking it out and bringing it to you. Just let me know how much more it would be if I just drive it up to you and have you take it out to work on it.
2. You gave me www.thegearbox.net to order a rebuild kit, but it appears to be parts for just motorcycles, unless I'm not looking hard enough. I think I want to go with a stronger or better rebuild kit, since my plan is to put heads and cam. Let me know what I need to make this happen.
3. I don't have info on SA Fbody enthusiast, but my brother does..... he posts under the name 6']['9, he knows more about it than I do. He'd have all the info on meets and schedules. I've gone with him in his car a few times, but I've not gone in mine.

The 3-4 steel shift fork won't be a problem, since I see it on ddperformance.com for $49. The car has about 52k miles on it, daily driver. Let me know what else you would need from me. I've been driving around like this for about a year, I think it's time to fix it. All other gears are fine except 1st. I'll try to shoot you an e-mail as well. Thanks
Old 02-01-2004, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

bugsquawsher..... sent you e-mail

Quick Reply: Who can rebuild my T-56