Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Monster update!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 05:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Monster update!!!

Well its been about 9 months now since I put in my new Monster stg3. When I first got it in I still had the stock driveshaft and a pretty fresh 10 bolt with 4.10s. Well after a few good street passes it was starting to let go. So I upgraded to a built 9inch with a locker and a chromoly driveshaft. Since then Ive done some good all motor runs with some drag radials just to find out that they werent going to cut it anymore. So last week I up the ante with some new Hoosier QTPs and went racing. Ill tell ya what after all the abuse Ive put this clutch through it drives better and better. And thats launching at 6600 time and time again and driving it home. Awsome product, once this thing wears out I will be getting another one.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many miles do you have on the clutch setup? Does yours make the squeaky sound alot of people have been talking about with the monster clutch?
Old 09-23-2010, 08:21 PM
11 Second Club

Ive got about 5k or so on it. Yes it makes the squeaky noise, but if you take it to the track and kick the **** outta it, it goes away for awhile. NOT A BIG DEAL
Old 09-23-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just put mine in last week. Still in the break in period but I can already tell this thing is a Monster. Glad your happy. And thats exactly what I cant wait to do. 6000rpm clutch dumps.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RJB01camaross
How many miles do you have on the clutch setup? Does yours make the squeaky sound alot of people have been talking about with the monster clutch?
ive got abou 5k on mine now and it sqeaks....doesnt really bother me tho. Just come out harder on it and it wont. IF its that bad go find a side road and dump it atleast 3k rpms and above. Should get rid of the glaze for a while.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:22 PM
wrp
9 Second Club

I have had several other major brand name clutches that made the squeaky sound much more pronounced than my Monster Stage 3. Difference was the Monster lasted about 20,000 miles longer than the other three combined. I am running their 11" Ceramic with 800/800 to the wheels right now and no issues for the first 3,000 miles which is about a thousand more than the other two brands even lasted.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:10 AM
11 Second Club

nice.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just ordered a stage 3 from tick hope it is as good as everyone makes it out to be!
Old 09-26-2010, 04:45 PM
11 Second Club

You wont be dissapointed!!!
Old 09-26-2010, 07:56 PM
12 Second Club

I've been really happy with my Monster clutches. I'm running the same 11" clutch now that WRP is (I think), and I love it. That's after well over 20,000 hard miles on my level 3. It still looked good when it came out too, other than some slight fluid contamination from a leaking rear main.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

My Stage 4 just broke the stock driveshaft with bald Nittos. I fear the transmission is next. I have had mine in for about 5-6K now. That clutch holds the power, HARD!
Old 09-27-2010, 03:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1
My Stage 4 just broke the stock driveshaft with bald Nittos. I fear the transmission is next. I have had mine in for about 5-6K now. That clutch holds the power, HARD!
Hahaha. Ive heard that a few times now.

Thats why when I installed my stg 3 I had the T-56 rebuilt and the installed a Moser 9inch with a locker and a chromoloy driveshaft. Then my next issue was the Nittos just wouldnt hold the launch. So now the QTPs are on.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Justins00ss
Hahaha. Ive heard that a few times now.

Thats why when I installed my stg 3 I had the T-56 rebuilt and the installed a Moser 9inch with a locker and a chromoloy driveshaft. Then my next issue was the Nittos just wouldnt hold the launch. So now the QTPs are on.
See, I've already got a Strange 12 bolt out back, and I bought a used DS loop, but it didn't fit with the T/A and y-pipe, so I went without for the time being. From all the reviews, the Nittos don't hold at all on the track. I was using the Nittos as my safety for the transmission and DS, but maybe my rear suspension is dialed in just perfect or the clutch transmits the power THAT quickly, or the bumper standing 34 BB coupe that went before me left the lane ultra-sticky.

Either way, I am mostly happy with the clutch, minus the chattering I still get, BUT I don't ever hard launch the car, so maybe thats my problem.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:20 PM
11 Second Club

See, I've already got a Strange 12 bolt out back, and I bought a used DS loop, but it didn't fit with the T/A and y-pipe, so I went without for the time being. From all the reviews, the Nittos don't hold at all on the track. I was using the Nittos as my safety for the transmission and DS, but maybe my rear suspension is dialed in just perfect or the clutch transmits the power THAT quickly, or the bumper standing 34 BB coupe that went before me left the lane ultra-sticky.

Either way, I am mostly happy with the clutch, minus the chattering I still get, BUT I don't ever hard launch the car, so maybe thats my problem.
Well now its a perfect reason to get a nice chromoloy DS. Plus those factory aluminum shafts arent that strong at all. Ive had a few friends break them at the track too. Get that driveshaft in there and some slicks and go launch that thing at 6000rpm like it was ment too. LOL. You will have smile on your face from ear to ear. Because of that factor I dont think I will be going auto for a long long time.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Justins00ss
Well now its a perfect reason to get a nice chromoloy DS. Plus those factory aluminum shafts arent that strong at all. Ive had a few friends break them at the track too. Get that driveshaft in there and some slicks and go launch that thing at 6000rpm like it was ment too. LOL. You will have smile on your face from ear to ear. Because of that factor I dont think I will be going auto for a long long time.
Haha, I was thinking about getting one of those PST 1000 HP drive shafts, BUT I know my transmission would be destroyed in the first couple of launches. I think the output shaft may already be tweaked a little bit.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:44 PM
11 Second Club

Haha, I was thinking about getting one of those PST 1000 HP drive shafts, BUT I know my transmission would be destroyed in the first couple of launches. I think the output shaft may already be tweaked a little bit.

Yeah it may be time for a good rebuild. Once you do that and get a new DS, you will be ready to rock and roll. Ive got a Sphon Chromoloy with the Spicer U-joints and heavy duty yoke.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:52 PM
11 Second Club

I like my monster 3 and it fixes the problem I had with the oz700 which was very low engagement point, but the monsters engagement point is so high I'm affraid with any wear on the clutch the engagement point will move so high it wont fully engage/disengage.

I've had it about 5k miles mostly street driven and it makes no noise, has never chattered but when you first start up the car the clutch needs some RPM to get going smoothly or else its a bit jerky(might be a driver error). Once it warms up though its easier to slip it a bit to get the car going off idle.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I helped my buddy install a monster stage 3 in his GTO a year ago. He ordered a stage 2 but they where out and sent him a stage 3 instead for the same price..... that sold me right there.. I decided then that when my clutch needs replaced im going with Monster. Well that and it looked like a great clutch! And after hearing nothing but good things about Monster ill be placing my order shortly before spring. Probley a Stage 4.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:15 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the review!

If you guys are experiencing the "squawking" noise this is due to a glaze build up on the clutch frictions. Take the car to the track (or deserted road in Mexico ) and give it a good flogging. Launch the car hard a few times and this noise will go away. After it's gone change your driving habits by trying not to slip it too much when taking off.

If you guys have any questions just give me a call and we'll get you taken care of!
Old 10-06-2010, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good know I hate driving my car with this sound. Only happens from a stop in 1st. Its a lil soft for me to though. Its a DD

Quick Reply: Monster update!!!