Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Can a T56 handle this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 04:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a T56 handle this?

ok i have a 2000 ss 6 speed. I bought the car with 7800 miles on it. At 7400 miles 3rd gear was replaced (didnt know till after i bought the car) The car bangs (noticably loudn on) when you engage the clutch. The only time it doesnt is when you shift very smoothly and slowly or in the higher gears (havent driven the frigin thing in so long cant remember if it did it in 4th!). Now i dont know if that is a tranny problem or somethin else, what do you guys think?. Another thing im morried about is that im gonna get some work done on it soon, most likely all the usuall boltons and a cam. Being that only 3rd was replaced and not the whole tranny, should i be worried about another gear blowing? Should i beg to try and get the entire tranny replaced before i do anything so i dont have to have warrenty issues?
Old 01-28-2004, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

its not the gears blowing. sometimes you just get a lemon trans.
i dunno what banging is, but its worth trying another clutch.. specially if you are going to add power anyways.. at least get an ls6 unit.

anyhow i get mine built by jim mattison and have been working great for me.. got it for about 1500 shipped no core! fully blueprinted, steel forks and of course all the updates and other goodies. i beat the hell out of it no doubt. email me for his email.

forgot to add, if your car is still stock, it may be worth hassling gm for a complete trans replacement.. i got a couple outa them before they voided me