Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec 2+ opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spec 2+ opinions

I am going to be replacing my clutch over the winter and am strongly considering a spec 2+. I will be using the car mainly for highway rolls and sees the track maybe 3 or 4 times a year.

Last edited by mchdg86; 10-01-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:34 PM
FormerVendor

Do you know what your car is making in terms of torque? Let me know and I will be happy to provide a recommendation. Thanks,
Old 10-01-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's a mild h/c combo with a 100 shot of nitrous so I'm guessing around 525-550 rwtq and I might up it to a 150 shot some time down the road.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was cam only in my z28and my spec stage 2 had about 5k miles on it and I downshifted to second at about 45mph and the clutch gripped but has been chattering ever since 10k plus miles now never seen the track just spritited driving. My car only made 380hp so I would look at something way more beefier than a 2 or 2plus. If your dead set on a spec get the 3 plus
Old 10-01-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by got milk??
I was cam only in my z28and my spec stage 2 had about 5k miles on it and I downshifted to second at about 45mph and the clutch gripped but has been chattering ever since 10k plus miles now never seen the track just spritited driving. My car only made 380hp so I would look at something way more beefier than a 2 or 2plus. If your dead set on a spec get the 3 plus
I currently have a spec 3+ in my car and really liked it but it is way over kill for my set up. I noticed it was worn pretty good when I had to replace one of my torque tube bushings. I plan to beef up my trans and diff over the winter and am gonna replace the clutch while everything is out. If a spec 2+ will handle the power the car makes I would rather go with it and save a hundred dollars to put somewhere else.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

IMHO I would get something other than a Kevlar disc. they tend to glaze under normal city driving. If you are going to beat on it all the time it may do better.

my 2+ after 2k mi and about a dozen passes
Attached Thumbnails Spec 2+ opinions-lt-1-clutches-077.jpg   Spec 2+ opinions-lt-1-clutches-078.jpg   Spec 2+ opinions-lt-1-clutches-086.jpg   Spec 2+ opinions-lt-1-clutches-088.jpg  
Old 10-05-2010, 02:27 AM
TECH Resident

^Why does it look like the clutch was only riding on 50% of the surface on the PP and flywheel?
Old 10-06-2010, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ******
IMHO I would get something other than a Kevlar disc. they tend to glaze under normal city driving. If you are going to beat on it all the time it may do better.

my 2+ after 2k mi and about a dozen passes

Hmmmm..... I guess I'll just pony up the cash for another spec 3+.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:43 PM
FormerVendor

******, The pictures posted evidence a clutch that was never fully seated and that over-heated as a result of what was likely agressive use before the surfaces had mated. This is evidenced by the wear pattern. Additionally, that isn't glazing...it is full on melting of the material relative to heat and subsequent sticking of the material to the friction surface when it was allowed to cool.

Maybe, the usage it saw during break-in was so easy that it couldn't seat fully. Or, perhpas your 12 passes were made consecutively before the clutch was seated and no time was allowed for cool-down in between runs (lol).

Believe it or not I see some kits that haven't seated because folks are too easy on them. I appreciate opinions...but it is worth noting that the clutch didn't do this to itself. You know what I mean! If you need anything else let me know as I would be happy to help you...

Additionally, mch, it all comes down to usage. A Stage 2+ would hold your planned power levels but if you are really agressively slipping the clutch out of the hole or if you have a tendency to ride the pedal on the street a Stage 3+ might be a better option.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
******, The pictures posted evidence a clutch that was never fully seated and that over-heated as a result of what was likely agressive use before the surfaces had mated. This is evidenced by the wear pattern. Additionally, that isn't glazing...it is full on melting of the material relative to heat and subsequent sticking of the material to the friction surface when it was allowed to cool.

Maybe, the usage it saw during break-in was so easy that it couldn't seat fully. Or, perhpas your 12 passes were made consecutively before the clutch was seated and no time was allowed for cool-down in between runs (lol).

J.

Actually none of the above. The 2+ was on it's 2nd season and was working very well. Did not beat on it during break-in nor was I easy on it. The damage in pics occured 1st pass that particular day. heavy car, 4200+ lbs, MT ET's, 3k launch....well stuff breaks.

My $02 is "kevlar" as a friction material is not ideal for a street/strip car. especially one that see's very little track time as Kevlar will tend to glaze in city driving and can have chatter. That is why I suggested the 3+ which is also a full face disc vs puc type.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:56 AM
Teching In

not a spec but i have been running a kevlar clutch in an almost all street mustang (t5) and never had any issues with it.... 50k miles + and used it to tow and auto x and drag....
Old 10-07-2010, 04:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by stormy69
not a spec but i have been running a kevlar clutch in an almost all street mustang (t5) and never had any issues with it.... 50k miles + and used it to tow and auto x and drag....
yeah many clutch companies use kevlar...for me it did work well while they lasted...but they did not last long for me. I know McLeod stoped using it on the LT1 DF disc which was organic/kevlar puc...now organic/ceramic puc

I run a full face disc now which I had a local shop make for me out of material no longer offered which is holding very well.

I have a heavy car around the 400 rwhp range which does not help clutch life :-(

ZOOM kevlar/kevlar clutch...died same as SPEC

BTW I am not bashing SPEC. Had + experience with their tech support and they promply replaced my 2+ when I received it damaged in shipping (PP damaged).

Quick Reply: Spec 2+ opinions