Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Sounds like firecrackers in my transmission!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Sounds like firecrackers in my transmission!

At the beginning of summer I was ripping up the twisty's in my local mountain range when I was braking hard approaching a corner and it sounded like firecrackers coming from the transmission area.

It still does this. I've been trying to find a pattern to it and what I've found is this:

Most of the time, it happens in gear (any gear) and at high rpm (over 4K) while hard braking and it does it when at high rpm and engine braking without the pedal brake and it does it at high speeds (over 90 mph is a guarantee) out of gear and braking hard.

It sounds like either firecrackers or a two-step on a turbo car, it's really weird. The car performs like nothing's wrong, everything works as it should. I can feel a slight pulsation on my brake pedal when this happening. Nothing is dangling in the undercarriage. Lately I've noticed the clutch makes a static shock noise during normal driving every once in a while. Could a piece of something be getting bounced around inside the transmission from all the g-forces of slowing down quickly?
Old 10-07-2010, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

While anything is possible, I'd look at matching the symptoms to the conditions. Since braking puts a downward force on your torque-arm, I'd go over all the TA bolts/mounts/etc. and all around it. Spread out the search to the trans mount and xmem bolts.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Adsoyo! Firecrackers, huh? Hmmm, man, I would actually really like to hear that.

How long has it been since you changed your tranny fluid? Doesnt actually take too long.

It definetly has something to do with the deceleration process.

No joke, one thing that helped me one time, is I removed my center console (You will have to do this to change your fluid anyways, if you decide to do that) and I started driving around like that. I could look through the hole and see the tranny AND the concrete. This way you can literally put your hand on the tranny from inside the car while you're driving. You will hear noises alot better, and also when you put your hand on the tranny you can feel the vobrations it makes, otherwise they get absorbed by bushings. This might help you out to locate if its coming from suspension related, rear end, tranny, or whatever.

Good luck on it man,
Old 10-17-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts

Good idea with the torque arm, I'll check that out.

93camaro - Changed the fluid about 5K miles ago with Mobil 1 Synt ATF so I know that's good to go. I'll definitely drive around with the center console off, that's a good idea. I want to get the sound on video with my little handy cam (you know the one) so if I have to take it to a transmission shop I can play it back for them.

Quick Reply: Sounds like firecrackers in my transmission!