Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Pedal Sticking.. Clutch Master Cylinder the cause?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 07:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch Pedal Sticking.. Clutch Master Cylinder the cause?

So on my 02 ws6 frequently when I hold down the clutch pedal all the way to the floor it will get stuck. When this happens, it won't allow me to shift the car into gear out of neutral; I have to manually lift it back up with my foot to be able to shift into gear. I had the car in the shop today and the tech said that the clutch master cylinder is bad, thus causing this symptom. He also showed me the clutch fluid reservoir and said that the black sludgy buildup inside the fluid was actually "metal shavings". I didn't see anything metallic looking in the fluid and the fluid level was not low.

I've had the car for 6 years and has always had this issue, never seems to have gotten worse. Although I did have the tranny rebuilt at about 75K because the car got stuck in 4th gear supposedly b/c of a bad synchronizer. The young tech today said over time a bad master can cause the synchronizers to go bad.

Whats are you guys' thoughts on this? Do you think the clutch master is actually the root cause of the pedal sticking and will it actually wear out the tranny synchros? Thanks!
Old 10-10-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the master is the cause. I would go with the tick master, check out some reviews on it, everyone loves it. I have one myself, best mod yet, makes the car fun to drive again. I can shift at 6500 no problem, always goes into to gear also any time I want.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem but when I had my clutch changed with a new slave and fresh fluid the problem went away but I bought a tick master as well. Its just sitting in my garage but next clutch change it is definetly going in.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 226 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by RiceEatingWS6
I've had the car for 6 years and has always had this issue, never seems to have gotten worse. Although I did have the tranny rebuilt at about 75K because the car got stuck in 4th gear supposedly b/c of a bad synchronizer. The young tech today said over time a bad master can cause the synchronizers to go bad.

Whats are you guys' thoughts on this? Do you think the clutch master is actually the root cause of the pedal sticking and will it actually wear out the tranny synchros? Thanks!
That original bad synchro probably went bad because of your clutch master cylinder going (gone?) bad. If the clutch doesn't fully release between shifts, the more torque that the synchros have to overcome to engage the next gear, and the faster they wear out.

Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal Sticking.. Clutch Master Cylinder the cause?