Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 clutch disengagement

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 01:11 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy t56 clutch disengagement

This is driving me insane I have done plenty of things to solve my clutch disengagement problem heres the story. Clutch was replaced with a centerforce dual friction the 12" and the flywheel was resurfaced too. The slave was replaced about 4 mths ago with a gm one. I never had problems with the old clutch but it seems as this new clutch is not disengaging well more like its actually dragging. I can drive the car fine in normal driving. I can also bang thru gears in high rpm w/ no prob but the problem is that once I push in the clutch pedal rev it while the car is in gear the transmission grinds horribly. It does it in any gear if you rev to about 3k and let off the gas but still hold the clutch down it grinds horribly and also I smell burn clutch. I just recently pulled the tranny this weekend to shim the clutch as I thought maybe this was the problem but still same results. What could be the problem I'm tired of pulling transmission out every other weekend.. Any idea on what the problem can be? I have a ram adjustable master cylinder that I've tried adjusting from top to bottom and no go with that either. I bled the clutch plenty and that hasnt helped either. Kinda out of ideas thinking maybe my slave took a **** on me already...
Old 10-11-2010, 11:13 PM
Launching!

Anybody??
Old 10-11-2010, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow that sounds horrible. i really dont know man. maybe something with that clutch set-up? or maybe your tranny is just going bad? never heard of it grinding when your in neutral and revving it up.... perhaps a video might help?
Old 10-12-2010, 01:27 AM
Launching!

It doesnt grind in neutral I put it in gear and rev it up to bout 3k with the clutch pressed in and when the rpms start coming back down I can smell burnt clutch n the grinding noise comes around. It does it in every single gear even reverse. Transmission was fine before i replaced the clutch.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like my luck. Bought my car with bad synchros. Had it rebuilt and beefed up while at it. When put back in, had problems still. Everytime I put it in 1st from second it would jump like the clutch wasn't engaging. After I built a new motor, I didn't check for the shim space. It needed to come out. I got tired of taking the thing out all the time. I don't even know if the shim would help, because the the thing still jumped when downshifting to 1st. At the same time the pedal was at the top and would rev to the moon when trying to give it gas in gear. To make a long story short, I know your pain. Hope you solve your problem. I never did,(went auto)
Old 10-15-2010, 12:34 AM
Staging Lane

Before you end up grinding all your synchros off, I'd recommend that you pull the tranny out, measure for a shim (there is a great guide somewhere on this site), bleed your hydraulics again, and adjust your Master cylinder using the redline test.
To adjust the master, start with the pedal adjusted all the way down. Jack the rear end an inch off the ground. Push down the clutch and try to put it in first. If you get alot of resistance, or if the tires start spinning after you put it in gear, then you need to adjust the pedal out some. Go a couple of turns each time.
Once you start to get where you think the pedal is adjusted properly, push the clutch all the way to the ground, put the tranny in first, and rev the engine to 6grand. If the tires spin, adjust the master out some, rinse and repeat.
When you get to where the tires dont spin anymore, the master is properly adjusted.

Quick Reply: t56 clutch disengagement