Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 hard to shift into all gears, <5K miles on clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010 | 12:33 PM
11 Second Club

Default T56 hard to shift into all gears, <5K miles on clutch

Hey. I had a new Spec Stage 3+ put in less than 5k miles ago. It was a lot more stiff going into gears than it was before. Before I had the 3+ also, but it was the 6 or so puck design and this one is a solid disk. I just thought that being different and a new clutch it would be fine once I break it in. I did the 500mile break and it never got better. It has just progressively gotten worse. It started with only being difficult with speed shifting at rev limiter, now it is difficult all the time. It also caused me to get it stuck into 3rd gear while racing. I got it back out, but it wants to get stuck whenever I drive it now. What could have been the initial problem with it? The McLeod adjustable master has been in for about 90k miles and the slave probably about 50k. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-24-2010 | 12:57 PM

Have you tried adjusting the master since the new clutch install?

I'm fairly new to GMs so I'm not sure if that many miles on a master/slave warrants a replacement or not.
Old 10-24-2010 | 01:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Das Nic
Have you tried adjusting the master since the new clutch install?

I'm fairly new to GMs so I'm not sure if that many miles on a master/slave warrants a replacement or not.

I have tried adjusting it. I adjusted it so far out that it grabbed at the very top and it still didn't help.
Old 10-24-2010 | 01:09 PM

You can try getting on flat ground, pushing the clutch in, putting it in first, and holding the clutch down for 30 seconds or so. If the car starts moving without you releasing the pedal you've got a bad seal in the master.

Other than that I'm not really sure how else to diagnose the problem.
Old 10-25-2010 | 08:20 AM
FormerVendor

I agree with the above post. Also you sticking in 3rd gear could be a sign of broken 3/4 synchronizer keys from the poor clutch disengaugement.

Quick Reply: T56 hard to shift into all gears, <5K miles on clutch