Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Slave problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Slave problem?

Well, after about 8 months of not driving the car im ready to light it on life. The slave went out in the car, drove it home in 1st gear since i was only a mile away, everything was fine and was holding fine. Ordered a new slave, installed it, now its slipping and the release point is at the very top of the pedal and it never fully engages. Its a spec 5 clutch with about 5k miles and was holding like a champ prior. The clutch didnt get any fluid or anything like that on it because as stated before it held fine on the drive home. It doesnt need shimmed because it feels exactly how when i first installed the clutch when it was new and i used the shim (high pedal and never fulled engaged). I had a stock master, swapped it with an adjustable master and same problem. System is very well bled both my a mity vac and the bleeder. Any advice?
Old 10-27-2010, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

Thinking, would maybe one or two bent clutch fingers be the issue if they were slightly bent? It's the only thing that could have happened considering I did this on jackstands in my driveway, but also have done it with no problems in the past atleast 15 times
Old 10-27-2010, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like the new slave you bought is a little longer than the old. I'd say take the shim out.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Guess I wasn't clear, there is no shim. It feels just like it did when it had the shim in there and didn't need it on the old slave.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

Maybe i over read it, but what exatly is your problem
EDIT: NVM. Id say it has to be the wrong slave.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

That's what I thought at first considering the quick disconnect (new style slave and fitting) sits so far in the bellhousing that you can't disconnect the line without removing the trans. But yet tick performance assured me time and time again I have the appropriate slave
Old 10-27-2010, 05:23 PM
TECH Regular

It shouldnt sit so far in that you cant disconnect it. Run the part number, maybe there different between the LT1 and LS1?
Old 10-27-2010, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

Subscribing for results. Not to thread-jack, but I also have hydraulic issues and thought it may be the slave. However my problem is different: atleast 5 times a month, completely at random, when I go to start the car to go to work in the morning, my clutch pedal goes to the floor. Have to pump it like 15 times just to get a pedal. Master cylinder reservoir is topped off and was recently bled. Curious to what the cure is for yours. For what its worth, I had to use a shim when I had a Spec stage 3.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

Definitely not a shim issue, it feel like a shim needs to be removed, however one is not there. Also it isn't an lt1 part because lt1s have external slaves. Thanks for the responses though. And for what it's worth CJJones, maybe if you have alot of fluid and it loses pressure there is air in the system. If you have it properly bled then maybe you have a small tear in one of the seals in the master. I'd look for that as your culprit. Possibly replacing your master. But now back to my issue haha.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by skeels
Definitely not a shim issue, it feel like a shim needs to be removed, however one is not there. Also it isn't an lt1 part because lt1s have external slaves. Thanks for the responses though. And for what it's worth CJJones, maybe if you have alot of fluid and it loses pressure there is air in the system. If you have it properly bled then maybe you have a small tear in one of the seals in the master. I'd look for that as your culprit. Possibly replacing your master. But now back to my issue haha.
This is what I'm thinking. The car sat for ~2 years, so I'm thinking a seal dried up and cracked. Plan on replacing with Tick unit. Thanks for the advice and confirming what I thought. Back to your issue.

Quick Reply: Slave problem?