Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tick MC worth $300? what about pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 11:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking Tick MC worth $300? what about pressure?

i am seriously considering the tick mc unit. Thing looks BAD AZZ but for 300 bucks.... i have spent countless hours and dollars on my a4-m6 swap so far, so what's a couple hundred more right.??
Also im also afraid that, if i dont adjust it right, the unit might be "to strong" and apply "to much" pressure to my slave/TOB and cause problems in the future. someone please make me feel better about this potential puchase cuz right now im
Old 10-15-2010, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it, it's worth it. It's nice to be able to actually shift at 6k rpms instead of being locked out. Never heard of someone actually damaging their slave or throw out bearing with the Tick MC, it's designed so that it is actually pretty hard to hurt anything.

Adjusting it is easy. You just put your hand on the rod and turn it, and you'll see the clutch pedal moving up or down. Start with it down real low and then try and put it into gear. Keep adjusting the pedal up until you can get it into first gear easily while sitting. Then drive it and do some WOT runs and keep adjusting it up until you feel that shifts are comfortable enough.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got one for my swap, becuase i wanted to do it once and be done with it. Its hard to swap those anyway, might as well do it when everything is already out. I just didnt want to get my swap done and then start driving only to find that i was locked out of gear at higher RPM's, just kind of deafeats the purpose. and if your worried about the $300, you can probably sell the stock master for around $50 to recoup some of that.

As far as adjusting it, dont worry about overextending the TO bearing, if you follow the instructions with tick there really is no way to hurt anything, basically you start with the pedal at the shortest setting and work your way up.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for the final nudge to get me off the fence. looks like im buying a tich unit. i guess tick is the only place that carries them. I might as well get me a clutch kit while im ordering my tick unit.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:18 AM
11 Second Club

Ya, you DEFINATELY wont be dissapointed. It is a very nice unit and worth the money. Also dont forget to get a speed bleeder from Tick... those things are a life saver.

Good luck with the swap.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:29 PM
Staging Lane

When you go to install your Tick MC, make sure you bench bleed the heck out if it. Then install it and bleed the heck out the whole system. As long as you do a good bleed from the get go and properly adjust your throw as per Tick's instructions, you *shouldn't* damage your slave or clutch.
But be careful with this thing. It pushes alot of fluid very quickly. You can easily overextend your slave, allowing it to take in air or even end up blowing it out. And too long of a throw can damage your PP fingers. Break your PP, and your clutch wont last very long.
That's why you'll really want to make sure there is NO air in the system. If there is any air left, it will eventually get bleed out back up through the reservoir. Now your perfect length throw has just become too long of a throw and is damaging your clutch. I've had this happen to me with my Tick and one of my clutches.
Ask them about it. It's happened to more people that just me.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:40 AM
10 Second Club

Way worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-17-2010, 08:44 AM
TECH Resident

That 300 bucks cured over 10 years of shifting problems for me.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

just ordered my tick MC and even opted up for the SPEEDbleeder. Do i mount the bleeder near the MC. guess it will all be in the instructions
Old 10-17-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

The speed bleeder connects to the slave that is by the clutch. You run the line up to near the clutch reservoir, I just tie rapped it to another bundle of wires and tucked it under the cowling. I just pull it out when I need it.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:59 PM
11 Second Club

$300? I hella forgot what those things cost lol. you will LOVE IT! i sure do!
Old 10-17-2010, 03:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Definitely get one. Love mine and the speed bleeder too. Bought mine on a GP for $299 with a free Speed Bleeder. Yes!!!
Old 10-17-2010, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

In regards to the speed-bleeder, i mounted mine by the Clutch fluid reservoir, AFTER I gravity bled it with the line on the ground. If you try to do your initial bleed with it by the fluid reservoir, you'll be sitting there all day. Ask me how I know.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Brief Encounter
In regards to the speed-bleeder, i mounted mine by the Clutch fluid reservoir, AFTER I gravity bled it with the line on the ground. If you try to do your initial bleed with it by the fluid reservoir, you'll be sitting there all day. Ask me how I know.
That is why bench bleeding these things is so important. This last time I put my Tick back in (had to get it rebuilt after blowing another seal) I only had to go through about half a quart of Brake fluid.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Monkey_fuerte
That is why bench bleeding these things is so important. This last time I put my Tick back in (had to get it rebuilt after blowing another seal) I only had to go through about half a quart of Brake fluid.

Nice avatar. Marzia Prince dominates!
Old 10-17-2010, 05:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

i also have a tick mc think i need to take it back to them to make sure its adjusted correctly tho. They installed it so it should be correct but im very picky !! i think it may have moved maybe idk maybe just me seems like its getting harder to put into first gear or my tranny is coming apart lol anyone got step by step instructions on how to adjust these things ?
Old 10-17-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Monkey_fuerte
(had to get it rebuilt after blowing another seal)
So a penguin takes his car to the garage and then goes and eat some ice cream while he waits. When he comes back the mechanic says, "It looks like you blew a seal." The penguin says, "Oh no, that's just a little ice cream."
Old 10-17-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by X-ray
So a penguin takes his car to the garage and then goes and eat some ice cream while he waits. When he comes back the mechanic says, "It looks like you blew a seal." The penguin says, "Oh no, that's just a little ice cream."
lol took me a little while to get it.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

just got my brand new tick mc and bleeder in. both look top notch. thanks for the peer pressure lol now i need to bench bleed first right?
Old 10-20-2010, 08:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

got it installed last night in a matter of like 20mins.no way i would have got the mc lined up with my firewall without help from the wifey. So, if i had to do the job my myself, i would deff pull the windshield wipers, black plastic cowl piece, and remove the brake booster. That way you will be able to SEE what u r doing and can get your hands in there

Quick Reply: Tick MC worth $300? what about pressure?