Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch hydraulic problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 07:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch hydraulic problem?

Hey guys and gals, I just got the trans in for my A4 to M6 swap. It's bolted up and I started bleeding the clutch last night. The reservoir and lines were completely empty as the slave broke off and I had to get a new one. So there's a brand new slave cylinder but the master is about 4 years old.

When I push the clutch pedal, it goes all the way to the floor and stays there (the spring in the clutch pedal keeps it all the way up or all the way down). I then have to pull it back. Now that it's all hooked up, I filled the reservoir, opened the bleeder until fluid came out, then closed it. I still have absolutely no pedal at all. It's as if the master isn't even connected to the pedal (it is, i checked, heh).

Shouldn't there be a little bit of pedal feel? Does this mean the master is broken, or do I just have to bleed it a bunch? I'm just concerned that when I bleed it I have to open the screw, push the pedal, close it, then actually reach in and pull the pedal back up. Does that sound right at all?

Thanks folks!
Old 10-28-2010, 08:35 AM
TECH Addict

try "burping" the line that connects the reservoir to the master. I had the same problem and after a few tries of that and some bleeding I got a huge bubble and started getting pedal right away.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:23 AM
12 Second Club

what do you mean by burping the line?
Old 10-28-2010, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gatsby
I'm just concerned that when I bleed it I have to open the screw, push the pedal, close it, then actually reach in and pull the pedal back up.
Thats exactly what you have to do, if your trying to bleed the clutch hydro system by yourself thats impossible unless you have a tick remote bleeder or a bleeder pump. otherwise buy a pack of beer get a friend over, and have them push the clutch pedal in while you bleed the clutch underneith. you'll have to open the bleeder, have them push and hold the clutch pedal down, then close the bleeder valve and release the cluth, and do that over and over until your assured all the air is out of the system