Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

MGW short shifter

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MGW short shifter

Received and installed my MGW shifter today and am very happy. The quality is top notch and it was very easy to install if you know how to turn a wrench.
Operation is flawless the centering springs are amazing and it is not any louder than stock since I re-used the #6 boot. I am actually very surprised, every manual car i owned i bought a shifter for it and this is the FIRST shifter i installed that gear noise wasnt increased.Didn't take but a couple minutes to get used to the feel, just let the shifter do the work.
This is my first mod to the car and recommend this to anyone looking for an ss
Old 11-03-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

so you went straight from a stock shifter to this one? i have a pro 5.0 that i like alright but i'd like to know if this is a big improvement over it. good to know you like it.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dutinsss
so you went straight from a stock shifter to this one? i have a pro 5.0 that i like alright but i'd like to know if this is a big improvement over it. good to know you like it.
You would be best off finding someone local to try clicking it through a few gears to see before dropping the coin - I went from a stock Hurst to a B&M to the MGW. Each one of them feels very different from the others...to me, the MGW was the only true "short" shifter out of the three IMO. I've been very happy with it, but never used a Pro 5.0 for any amount of time worth mentioning (just drove one around for 20 minutes or so).
Old 11-04-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been happy with mine. Much faster and more sure-shifting than the stock (non-Hurst) it replaced. I did get a little more whine with mine, but I cut the boot a bit to get it to fit....hopefully getting more sound deadening material over the winter to install.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Launching!

That is correct. I never had a 5.0 in the car. There are mixed reviews about both..

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
I've been happy with mine. Much faster and more sure-shifting than the stock (non-Hurst) it replaced. I did get a little more whine with mine, but I cut the boot a bit to get it to fit....hopefully getting more sound deadening material over the winter to install.
I need to do a little more cutting to the boot only because I think I can make it fit better.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
You would be best off finding someone local to try clicking it through a few gears to see before dropping the coin - I went from a stock Hurst to a B&M to the MGW. Each one of them feels very different from the others...to me, the MGW was the only true "short" shifter out of the three IMO. I've been very happy with it, but never used a Pro 5.0 for any amount of time worth mentioning (just drove one around for 20 minutes or so).
sad thing is, where i'm from, guys with these cars are few and far between. and my 3 best f-body friends all have auto's! haha. if i could find somebody to buy my pro 5.0 i'd probably go with an mgw. mine feels more notchy than i'd like. the trans probably has a lot more to do with it than the shifter, but i don't know. i've only had a factory hurst shifter before this, so not much to compare to.

and if the mgw had a much shorter throw, that'd be great. i love my pistol grip handle but i need a shifter with a shorter throw to make up for the added length.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:15 AM
11 Second Club

and if the mgw had a much shorter throw, that'd be great. i love my pistol grip handle but i need a shifter with a shorter throw to make up for the added length.
do you have a short stick? if you do cut it and re thread it more, if you dont, buy mine

I wish i could put my pistol grip back on my MGW but i need the button for the line lock and have to use my white hurst ball
Old 11-05-2010, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

i just have the stick that came with the pro 5.0. i cut it down a little but i could definately take a little more off.

man i'd get a pistol grip with a button or wire your line lock like i did so there's just one push-pull switch next to the headlight switch so you don't have to hold it down the whole time. i'd never go back to anything but a pistol grip after i got this one.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:45 AM
11 Second Club

^^^^ im really thinking about it at this point lol i freaking love my pistol grip, but the ball with the **** really isnt that bad. Im still on the fence about it
Old 11-19-2010, 09:36 AM
Launching!

Been on for a couple weeks now and shifting has become much smoother. I am using the Hurst cue ball shift **** on it and I love it. Might pick up a pistol grip ot t-handle for the track though.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

I switched from a Pro 5.0 to the MGW. The MGW makes the pro 5.0 look silly in the quality as well as the performance aspects. I absolutely love the MGW the only bad thing about it is it took me a little while to get used to the MGW. I noticed that it took about 500 miles or so of everyday driving to get it to loosen up a bit, but now it performs great.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:11 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Is it really that much different than other shifters? I'm not doubting, quite the opposite. If it is that much better, I might swap out my Kirban for it.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Is it really that much different than other shifters? I'm not doubting, quite the opposite. If it is that much better, I might swap out my Kirban for it.
Compared to stock and stock Hurst a tremendous difference.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Don't hesitate. I have had mine for a few years now and it is fantastic. Pricey, but very worth it. I've had many shifters in my day too. Ok, maybe just the stock hurst, a UMI short stick, and a B&M, but it blows them out the water. Everything Meents said was spot on.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:34 AM
Banned

I love my MGW one of my favorite mods.

Quick Reply: MGW short shifter