Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 on my LS1 takes forever to upshift when racing...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy T56 on my LS1 takes forever to upshift when racing...

Hey guys in my 99 Ls1 t56 Miata I noticed when racing it takes foreverrrrrr for the synchronizer to slow down the input shaft and allow me in to the next gear... There is a huge delay when putting in the clutch and shifting up.

Clutch disengages 100% perfectly, does not drag even a little at all.
Trans fluid is off-brand ATF I'm using...
The transmission never grinds, just takes forever to upshift...
Another thing is the shifter is really short compared to a stock fbody, like half the length, it is still the stock shifter, just really short rod.

I have tried giving the shifter a ton of force when upshifting But the synchro delay is still present.
I am sure most will say change the fluid to a nice good synthetic, question is... What kind? I will Try this first.

Maybe a heavy shift ball will help?
Old 11-26-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe your shift throw is so short that you're losing more mechanical advantage than you realize, and can't put much force on the blocker rings to allow the transmission to match up RPM's for your shift?

I've found that synthetics are too slick, and make the synchro's feel heavier.

I'm running regular non-synthetic castrol ATF in my car now, and it shifts really nicely.

Are you lifting off the throttle at all when you shift the car?
Old 11-26-2010, 06:18 PM
Teching In

you might need a washer between the slave and the transmission. I just installed a spec stage 1 clutch and on the directions it says that if the washer is not installed it may cause clutch to disengage much later. Good luck with your car.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

The washer between the slave and transmission IS in place, and I am running a spec stage 1 as well.
I let out of the throttle 110% when shifting, should I try shifting with even more force???
Old 11-26-2010, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I'm racing my car, I don't think about how much force I'm putting into the shifter...it goes as hard/fast as my hand can move it. I DO throw the clutch all the way when racing, but I don't lift all the way off the throttle...I lift a little...I've held the throttle on the floor for shifts in the past, and haven't seen enough benefit in ET to keep doing it...if it was just a race car I would, but it's not.

As long as I time my feet and right hand properly, I don't ever grind/crunch a gear when shifting. When I'm just driving normally though, I am pretty gentle with the shifter...so I guess it depends what you want to do with the car, if you just want to race it, make SURE your clutch is disengaging fully, and move the shifter as fast as you can.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd try regular fluid to see if it helps. Along these lines, anyone know if theres a friction modifier that could be added to help the synchros grip the gear cone better? I always wondered if something like B&M Trick Shift might be good for this.

Quick Reply: T56 on my LS1 takes forever to upshift when racing...