Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Squeal / Chirp

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Squeal / Chirp

Hello,

Looking for some second opinions. Basically, car makes a bad squeal when the clutch is engaged (pedal up), and it stops when the pedal is barely touched.

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx42pNu3IjM

I want to believe it's a combination of throw out bearing and pressure plate noise just based on the fact that barely touching the pedal stops it.

I want to make sure it's not a pilot or trans input bearing. I think if it was either of those, I would have to disengage the clutch completely for them to stop.

Thanks for the time. Car is a 2005 GTO, 50k miles, all stock. I do have a clutch kit on order with the pilot bearing and throw out bearing. I just have to drive it about 100 miles before I can do the work.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:34 PM

So with the clutch in, car in gear, vehicle coasting and engine off the car makes no noises. That should rule out any trans input shaft bearing noise.

Because it only makes noise with the engine running, and changes when I barely touch the clutch, I'm guessing it's some interaction with the pressure plate fingers and the throw out bearing.

I'll update this thread when I pull the trans next weekend so members can use this thread for future debug
Old 11-29-2010, 03:23 PM
FormerVendor

I agree with your second post's assessment about this potentially being relative to the TOB and the diaphragm fingers. That being said it isn't that common to have bearing noise in these cars. Where does engagement occur relative to pedal travel (does the clutch bit low or high in the pedal travel)? Let me know and I will be happy to provide more info. Thanks,
Old 12-01-2010, 07:01 PM

Engagement is a bit high, although every once and a while it's right off the floor, usually after the car is warm. I think there might be some air in the line too. Clutch comes out this weekend.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:54 AM
FormerVendor

The variable height of engagement would evidence air in the system. Bleed the system from both ends (the reservoir and the bleeder off the slave) with a mighty-vac before pulling the transmission. If the problem returns then you most likely have an issue with the slave or master. Keep me posted with any questions. Thanks,

Quick Reply: Clutch Squeal / Chirp