Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Magically Disappearing 9310 Mainshaft Thread - Where'd it go?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
That's the theory I'm leaning toward. I think the case is flexing just enough to cause the counter shaft to twist away from it's normal axis, then causing the gears to not mesh correctly, which in turn causes rapid excessive heat. The next thing you know, teeth are flying off the counter shaft and input shaft. I've always thought that small bearing between the input shaft and mainshaft was way too small as well. It's another weak area IMO.

Mike
The stock T56 case is basically the same in the TR6060 and the aftermarket 1200-1400hp T56s. I'd keep looking elsewhere (like sloppy shimming specs) for shearing input-counter gear teeth.

mike
Old 12-17-2010, 01:48 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a pretty big difference in the Corvette TR6060 and the T56. You can see where the cocentrate the bulk of the added ribbing. The 5th gen TR6060 is quite a bit more beefy in the front as well. I don't have a Magnum front plate handy unfortunitely

Old 12-17-2010, 02:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
The stock T56 case is basically the same in the TR6060 and the aftermarket 1200-1400hp T56s. I'd keep looking elsewhere (like sloppy shimming specs) for shearing input-counter gear teeth.

mike
Are those TR6060's really holding up to that much hp or are they just rated at that much hp? I haven't heard or read about much feedback on those yet. Plus the wider gear contact area isn't going to be as easy to shear as the normal T56 gears.

I know what you mean about shimming specs. On my personal T56 I preload all of the bearings. I'd much rather replace a $10-15 bearing than tear up a gear or gear cluster. Although the bearings have held up fine so far being mainly a track car with limited street use.

Mike
Old 12-19-2010, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
There is a pretty big difference in the Corvette TR6060 and the T56. You can see where the cocentrate the bulk of the added ribbing. The 5th gen TR6060 is quite a bit more beefy in the front as well. I don't have a Magnum front plate handy unfortunitely
I was referring to the TR6060/Magnum/T56 maincase. But to compare apples-to-apples I believe the Magnum front plate is even less reinforced than the F-body because of the integrated pump.. So in regard to engine mounted transmissions, I still don't believe that case flex is an issue until you are beyond the limitations of the rest of the transmissions.... My $0.02
Old 12-20-2010, 11:15 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
So in regard to engine mounted transmissions, I still don't believe that case flex is an issue until you are beyond the limitations of the rest of the transmissions.... My $0.02
Agreed!
Old 12-21-2010, 06:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow I thought that was weird I couldnt find that thread. A lot of good info in there. Makes total sense to delete it though. No member should ever offer information that good and detailed for free!!!!!! All members should be banned for offering to help anyone IMO. Hell a friend of mine just offered to work on my car in my garage with me this weekend. I had to report him and have him banned too Ashamed of myself and the forum he was a nice guy.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nitrojunkie
Why don't you go back and read Crager's post again. He was backdoor whoring the site without paying for sponsorship. A perfectly good reason to delete his posts.
Thank you Rookie for your reply. I'm sure you still believe in Santa Claus aswell which theres nothing wrong with that. However the guy was giving free good information and no there was not one person from LS1tech that had their transmission done by him due to LS1tech. Check your references before posting Rookie There are members on here and other sites that have had work done by him but nothing to do with LS1tech getting him to do work for them at all. Very nice guy ashamed of us and the forum to lose him as a member. Theres rules and it is what it is. Just saying its ashame!!!
Old 12-21-2010, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well well well I stand corrected Nitrojunkie you're not a Rookie... you are clearly a troll As I found you are very well liked on this site!!!! Took 2 minutes to find out what a great guy you are Where are you located at?
Old 12-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zturd
Well well well I stand corrected Nitrojunkie you're not a Rookie... you are clearly a troll As I found you are very well liked on this site!!!! Took 2 minutes to find out what a great guy you are Where are you located at?
Take this **** to PMs...it has no place in this thread, regardless of how many posts you do/don't have. If you don't like the policies of this board, go elsewhere - it really is that simple.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Take this **** to PMs...it has no place in this thread, regardless of how many posts you do/don't have. If you don't like the policies of this board, go elsewhere - it really is that simple.
Sorry for shitting in the thread. I cleared my own trash.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02

Already took it to PM. Sorry for the bad part of the thread but it actually went along with it now that I think of it cause it was asking where the thread went etc. As I said theres rules and it is what it is
Old 12-21-2010, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
In some situations they are a crutch/bandaid. In some cases they are solutions. If your car is 3800lbs+ and making 800+hp it is a crutch becaues just running the car WOT in 3rd and 4th gear will generate enough heat to melt down the input and cluster. If your car is a drag car within a reasonable power level and pulling serious 60ft times causing the fluid to slosh to the rear of the case and starving the input, cluster and 3rd gear of fluid the pump is a viable alternative.
My plan is a pump AND a cooler/fan...car is heavy...but there's plenty of room to help it shed heat under there. I think the parts ARE strong enough if the heat can be controlled...just blowing oil on it (while the oil is heating) I also see as a crutch...keeping that oil temp controlled, and thus pulling heat from the gears...I think will work out well.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:57 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
My plan is a pump AND a cooler/fan...car is heavy...but there's plenty of room to help it shed heat under there. I think the parts ARE strong enough if the heat can be controlled...just blowing oil on it (while the oil is heating) I also see as a crutch...keeping that oil temp controlled, and thus pulling heat from the gears...I think will work out well.
Yes Mike that is a great idea. The cooler with a pump will be a great setup. If I had it my way all our high power T56 cars would run that setup. Unfortunately a lot of our customers just choose to do the front return pump and no cooler.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
FWIW, I road race my T56 and have a temperature gauge on in. (left over when my car was a slushbox) Even doing heaving driving/shifting in the Summer at Pocono, the fluid never got above 180deg. I just can't see that any other kind of driving/racing would be worse than a road course HPDE and require/benefit from a fluid cooler... YMMV
Old 12-22-2010, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with you...but it's still a 4400 pound car...and I am shooting for a 4 digit power number...I've invested SOOOO much of my money, research and time in it...there's really no reason not to put a cooler inline with the pump.

Quick Reply: Magically Disappearing 9310 Mainshaft Thread - Where'd it go?