Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need Tranny Advise

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 12:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Tranny Advise

I have a 1995 LT1 Trans Am with a Borg Warner Transmission that will not shift into 3 or 4. It was working for a while but it is now dead and will not shift into gear without grinding and popping out. Double clutching will not work, going from 2-3 or 5-4 will not work either. I suspect broken syncros but I am not a transmission expert. I am either going to have it rebuilt, or do a transmission swap to take the "easy" route. My question is, which would be cheaper, doing a rebuild (which I don't know what all needs to be fixed), buying a used LT1 transmission for about $1600, or buying an LS1 transmission off of a Corvette for $600 and buying the necessary adapter plates and hydraulic components (if it is even possible)? Any thoughts you have please advise.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:36 AM
Teching In

I stand corrected, Corvette transmissions will not fit
Old 01-15-2011, 08:11 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

I'd recommend getting it rebuild. Even if you find a used T56 for cheap, you never know what could be wrong inside. I've seen "good" working T56s that end up needing all kinds of parts down the road.
I normally do the Stage 2 build for $680 parts/labor. This includes all new rings, keys, springs, fork pads, upgrades including steel 3-4 shift fork and billet keys. Sounds like you probably also need new 1-2 and 3-4 synchro assemblies and maybe a gear or two. It will probably be around $1000-1100 total for a complete upgraded rebuild. After this, it will be better than new. Of course the T56 will have to be disassembled in order to assess all the damage and get an accurate price quote. Is see you are in Oklahoma, so you may not be too far from my shop in Ft Worth. Shipping generally runs $75-80 each way from OK. Check out the websites in my sig for more info. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2011, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Thank you everyone for your concern. However my clutch pedal sank to the floor coming onto the highway on Friday. I had to get it towed to a shop here locally. I'm going to see what their quote is to have the T56 rebuilt but as far as the clutch goes, it needs to be fixed immediately. I will update this as I receive further details after the weekend.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:55 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Just make sure they upgrade the trans with the billet keys and steel 3-4 fork. A lot of the "run of the mill" trans shops don't know anything about these upgrades. I see botched up builds all the time, especially if theyre not familiar with T56s. Be prepared to pay, as I wouldn't be surprised if they hit you for $2k or more. Don't get me wrong, I'm not just trying to drum up business. Just giving you a heads up on the type of stuff that I see week after week. Hopefully you beat the odds, and get a good shop that will do a good job and not over charge you.

I keep clutches in stock if you want to order one, you'll have to call in Monday. www.diamondclutch.com

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Need Tranny Advise