Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Now offering reman'ed T56's outright !

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 11:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're in Ft. Worth? You haven't by chance done any emergency tranny repair for SNL in the last couple of months have you?
Old 01-31-2011, 04:58 AM
Teching In

I have a LT1 core minus input shaft, what would I be looking at to get it rebuilt to stage 3 with bronze fork pads, triple cone syncros, steel shift forks for 1-2, 3-4, and billit keys. It would be going behind a 370 LS1 motor should be around 500hp at the rear wheels, and I plan on up to a 200 shot of nitrous. Anything else I should plan on doing to the tranny, or would going with a t56 Magnum be a better route?
Old 01-31-2011, 10:48 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TDP
Yes, you can do that. Just pay full price for the Stage 3 ($2500), and once your T56 is received and the damage is assessed, I'll refund the difference.
The Stage 3 build starts at $1380. So, if your tranny needs $300 of parts that are damaged, then the total is $1680. 2500-1680 = $820 refund. Of course shipping has to be figured in too, but you get the point. Thanks!
Got it. Thanks for answering my question.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats a good *** deal.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:01 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by hivoltagedriver
You're in Ft. Worth? You haven't by chance done any emergency tranny repair for SNL in the last couple of months have you?
lol, yup that must have been you.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:09 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by tonybain42
I have a LT1 core minus input shaft, what would I be looking at to get it rebuilt to stage 3 with bronze fork pads, triple cone syncros, steel shift forks for 1-2, 3-4, and billit keys. It would be going behind a 370 LS1 motor should be around 500hp at the rear wheels, and I plan on up to a 200 shot of nitrous. Anything else I should plan on doing to the tranny, or would going with a t56 Magnum be a better route?
With that kind of power, the T56 will hold up just fine, especially with the upgrades. I'll be running 650rwhp/tq with the 370 in my turbo Camaro, and I'm not even upgrading the mainshaft. Would you want the 2.97, 2.07, 1.43, 1.00, 0.80, 0.62 gear set or the 2.66, 1.78, 1.31, 1.00, 0.74, 0.50 gear set? I've got both gear sets in stock for triple cone rings.

Here is how the price would break down. $1380 for the Stage 3 build, add approximately $350 for for the LS1 input and front plate, and then add $250 for the triple cone ring conversion. This would add up to $1980. The max charge for this setup w/ exchange is $2200, so your final price would be $1980-2200 depending on what all is wrong with the LT1 core. Shipping is $80-100 each way to most states.

Last edited by TDP; 01-31-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey, I just noticed you mentioned LT1 bellhousings.

Do you have any spare LT1 slave cylinder spacers for the bellhousings? Willing to part with one? How much? A friend of mine is in need.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:17 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Emfuser
Got it. Thanks for answering my question.
Oh yeah, forgot to mention something. The Stage 3 w/ triple cone rings is the 32-spline mainshaft, instead of the 31. The 31 spline shaft will not work with the triple cone rings. Both shafts are basically the same strength.

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
Hey, I just noticed you mentioned LT1 bellhousings.

Do you have any spare LT1 slave cylinder spacers for the bellhousings? Willing to part with one? How much? A friend of mine is in need.
No, I got rid of the last one with a conversion kit that I sold a few weeks ago. I'm seriously considering getting some of these spacers made, as there is a huge demand for them.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TDP
lol, yup that must have been you.
That being the case, I can vouch for these trannys. Mine had previously been built by a big name sponsor here on the forum, and broken twice. No problems thus far with the rebuild, and THANK YOU very much for turning that around so quick. I was really impressed. We were really in a bind, and I couldn't belive when Steve told me that he was dropping it off at 3:30 in the afternoon and planning on sending me home that night. SNL installed it in less than an hour, and I got on the highway and drove 5 hours home. Beat on it since with none of the problems that I had before.

I may be contacting you for another tranny soon.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TDP
No, I got rid of the last one with a conversion kit that I sold a few weeks ago. I'm seriously considering getting some of these spacers made, as there is a huge demand for them.
Yeah, and the monkeys taking transmissions out of cars at salvage yards are losing them constantly.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:05 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by hivoltagedriver
That being the case, I can vouch for these trannys. Mine had previously been built by a big name sponsor here on the forum, and broken twice. No problems thus far with the rebuild, and THANK YOU very much for turning that around so quick. I was really impressed. We were really in a bind, and I couldn't belive when Steve told me that he was dropping it off at 3:30 in the afternoon and planning on sending me home that night. SNL installed it in less than an hour, and I got on the highway and drove 5 hours home. Beat on it since with none of the problems that I had before.

I may be contacting you for another tranny soon.
Glad I was able to help! Honestly, the timing just happened to work out perfectly. Had it been any other day, the chances of getting it all done on such short notice would have been very slim.
I've seen that same problem with a few other triple cone T56's (GTO, Corvette, etc..). It seems this particular style of billet key (most common one) doesn't work well with these T56s. I've seen the actual keys break as well as the outer rings crack. The style of billet key that I use is a unique design actually made by a local machine shop. Unfortunately, most T56 builders don't even know this style exists, so they don't use them. Needless to say, I've never had a problem with them in any transmission. I'm actually planning to get a huge batch made soon.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TDP
Oh yeah, forgot to mention something. The Stage 3 w/ triple cone rings is the 32-spline mainshaft, instead of the 31. The 31 spline shaft will not work with the triple cone rings. Both shafts are basically the same strength.
Stock is what? 27 spline?

As long as it comes with what I need for it to be a bolt-in replacement for the OEM unit, I should be ok. It amazes me that the guy has put 82k a stocker, connected to a DLS 9" rear end via a Denny's Nitrous-ready Driveshaft and putting up to 530 to the wheels.

Once I get to actually ordering (some time after the car is delivered to me), I'll go over the details with you again.

Last edited by Emfuser; 02-02-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TDP
Glad I was able to help! Honestly, the timing just happened to work out perfectly. Had it been any other day, the chances of getting it all done on such short notice would have been very slim.
I've seen that same problem with a few other triple cone T56's (GTO, Corvette, etc..). It seems this particular style of billet key (most common one) doesn't work well with these T56s. I've seen the actual keys break as well as the outer rings crack. The style of billet key that I use is a unique design actually made by a local machine shop. Unfortunately, most T56 builders don't even know this style exists, so they don't use them. Needless to say, I've never had a problem with them in any transmission. I'm actually planning to get a huge batch made soon.
I'm curious about your billet keys...would you mind sending me a PM if it's something you don't want to discuss in public yet?

I'm going to be assembling my triple cone T56 soon...but I haven't bought billet keys from anyone yet.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:50 PM
Teching In

Would it be possible to get the 2.66 first gear with the 2.07, 1.43, 1, .8, .62 gearset? or is iteither or with the different gearsets?
Old 02-03-2011, 01:06 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Emfuser
Stock is what? 27 spline?
As long as it comes with what I need for it to be a bolt-in replacement for the OEM unit, I should be ok. It amazes me that the guy has put 82k a stocker, connected to a DLS 9" rear end via a Denny's Nitrous-ready Driveshaft and putting up to 530 to the wheels.
Once I get to actually ordering (some time after the car is delivered to me), I'll go over the details with you again.
Yes, stock is 27-spline. The Stage 3 comes with a 31-spline yoke and the correct u-joint so it will be a plug-n-play. I'll need to know if you're planning to use your stock driveshaft or if you're going aftermarket, so I can get you the right yoke/u-joint combo.

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
I'm curious about your billet keys...would you mind sending me a PM if it's something you don't want to discuss in public yet?
I'm going to be assembling my triple cone T56 soon...but I haven't bought billet keys from anyone yet.
I'm sure you've read about the problems with billet keys on the triple cone rings. As far as I know, the ones that I use are the only ones like it, and they work fine with the triple cone setup. I can sell you a set if you'd like.

Originally Posted by tonybain42
Would it be possible to get the 2.66 first gear with the 2.07, 1.43, 1, .8, .62 gearset? or is it either or with the different gearsets?
You can use any one of the two gear sets, but you have to keep 1-4 the same, since it all has to match up with the countershaft. But you can have the lower 5-6, or vise-versa.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TDP
You can use any one of the two gear sets, but you have to keep 1-4 the same, since it all has to match up with the countershaft. But you can have the lower 5-6, or vise-versa.
You might want to correct/rephrase this. Since the M12 and MM6 units have the same 5,6 gears, swapping between them won't allow you to change the ratios between the 2 sets. Only the late model MZ6 or the '93 M28/M29 5th/6th gear sets would change the ratios, but even then to a hybrid ratio different than either M12 or MM6 has.

The appendix in the SSR 32-spline write-up explains the ratio calculations and gear tooth counts available.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:08 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
You might want to correct/rephrase this. Since the M12 and MM6 units have the same 5,6 gears, swapping between them won't allow you to change the ratios between the 2 sets. Only the late model MZ6 or the '93 M28/M29 5th/6th gear sets would change the ratios, but even then to a hybrid ratio different than either M12 or MM6 has.

The appendix in the SSR 32-spline write-up explains the ratio calculations and gear tooth counts available.
I would do this change by using the 5-6 gears out of the aftermarket Cobra T56. I happen to have 2 sets right now. They use the 36-31 tooth driven gear as opposed to the 37-29. I calculated the ratio that this would come out to one time, but I forgot and lost the formula.
My above post was more of a generalization. All I was saying is that 1-4 has to match, and 5-6 has to match. This also applies to using the triple cone setup for 1-4 and single on 5-6, or vise-versa.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TDP
I would do this change by using the 5-6 gears out of the aftermarket Cobra T56. I happen to have 2 sets right now. They use the 36-31 tooth driven gear as opposed to the 37-29. I calculated the ratio that this would come out to one time, but I forgot and lost the formula.
My above post was more of a generalization. All I was saying is that 1-4 has to match, and 5-6 has to match. This also applies to using the triple cone setup for 1-4 and single on 5-6, or vise-versa.
TDP,
With that said, what is the lowest (numerical) 5 & 6 gear ratios I can get on an f-body t-56 with the 2.97, 2.07, 1.43, 1.00 first through fourth gears? I'm looking to stay as close to the stock 0.74, 0.50 for 5 & 6 since my car spends a lot of time on the highway.

Thanks.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Teching In

How much would a T-56 conversion kit cost? What all comes with it?
Old 02-08-2011, 12:31 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by vtirocz
TDP,
With that said, what is the lowest (numerical) 5 & 6 gear ratios I can get on an f-body t-56 with the 2.97, 2.07, 1.43, 1.00 first through fourth gears? I'm looking to stay as close to the stock 0.74, 0.50 for 5 & 6 since my car spends a lot of time on the highway.

Thanks.
I need to find the formula again to make some calculations. I'll have to get back with you on this.

Quick Reply: Now offering reman'ed T56's outright !