Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Smooth shfting shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 05:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jwright41
Happen to have an idea of what he paid for it? Saw the site and read but didnt see any prices.
I believe about 3k for a full trans, not a rebuild of his stock one (not to say its not rebuilt, just saying he didn't have to wait). Can't recall if he had to submit a core.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seen you guys talking about the Kirban shifter for F-bodies. Would this happen to be there one your speaking of?http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/br...e-Shifter.HTML
Old 01-29-2011, 01:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ugh... I'm going to try the unsrewing of the bolt on the side of the trans the next time i'm under the car and see what that does. I guess just an uncrew and test, unscrew and test, etc. until it's "right"

Should be fun with only car ramps (aka a million times up to adjust!)

I'll let you all know my findings when I get it up there.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam2001WS6
Ugh... I'm going to try the unsrewing of the bolt on the side of the trans the next time i'm under the car and see what that does. I guess just an uncrew and test, unscrew and test, etc. until it's "right"

Should be fun with only car ramps (aka a million times up to adjust!)

I'll let you all know my findings when I get it up there.
well you're supposed to use a washer under there so you can still tighten the bolt down, otherwise it may loosen over time and you'll lose the bolt/ball/spring
Old 01-29-2011, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by black_99/SS
I seen you guys talking about the Kirban shifter for F-bodies. Would this happen to be there one your speaking of?http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/br...e-Shifter.HTML
That is it, but I think thats an outdated link on their website...once you go to their store, it's not in there...I wish that wasn't the case.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
It's a big part of the problem...the T-56 is notoriously notchy. I understand where you are coming from...if my Camaro could shift as smoothly as my wife's 6-speed Celica, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Then again, that Celica transmission most likely couldn't handle the torque that a stock (much less modded) LS1 puts out.
The main reason the T56 is so notchy is because its a heavy duty transmission. It takes a great deal of strength to handle the kind of torque that these engines put out, especially the Viper, where you're looking at well over 500ft/lbs of torque.

A Celica transmission wouldn't last 1 minute behind an LS1. Its a little jap trans, its designed for about 100ft/lbs of torque. The reason it shifts smoother is because its not a direct shift transmission. It has a shifter, which pivots in a cup, which attaches to cables, which attaches to a shifter mechanicsm on the trans, which then internally moves the shift forks. These shift forks are about 1/4 the size of a T56 shift forks, and the synchro assemblies and gears themselves are equally as small. Between the remote linkage, stand alone shifter, and small internal components, the trans shifts with much less notchiness and effort than a T56.

Personally I like the feel of the T56 for general driving. Its like a bolt action rifle - precise, sturdy, and satisfying to actuate. With my Pro 5.0 and shorter shift stick, going through the gears (when the trans is warmed up) is a pleasure.

Last edited by Wesmanw02; 02-01-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a built "Stage 3" T56 from 6speedinc (back when they were still in business) and I used the stock Hurst shifter with a Lou's short stick. I gotta say, I absolutely HATED the way that tranny felt under normal street driving conditions! It felt bulletproof when racing, but crusing around town, my damn arm would get worn out from all the effort it took to put that thing into gear. I hated it so much in fact that I ended up totally swapping it out and doing a 4L65E auto conversion (a move that I almost regret even more in the end). I havent driven an MN12 car before, but from what I'm hearing, those triple syncros help out A LOT. I'm putting parts together right now to do an LS6/6 speed swap into my Lexus IS300, but I DEFINATELY want that tranny in there to be as smooth as possible.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:00 AM
TECH Veteran

I've got a T45 Rebuilds 4B package and the stock Hurst shifter and it's kinda smooth. I drove my buddy's T5 88 Foxbody with a Pro 5.0 shifter and that thing is next to impossible to shift quick. That shifter feels like you hit a wall with every gear (centerforce clutch + Cable.) If that's what a pro 5.0 is going to do to my car, I'll never buy one
Old 07-30-2011, 09:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought an 00 z28 this spring with the Kirban shifter in it and it shifts positively not as smooth as a foreign car since it takes a bit of effort but driven aggresively I havent missed a shift with it. especially nice for that critical 2/3 shift lol

Quick Reply: Smooth shfting shifter?