Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is this normal? Pics of pilot bearing.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011 | 04:10 AM
On The Tree

Default Is this normal? Pics of pilot bearing.

I recently did my first clutch install, and I was just wondering if it's normal to have a completely thrashed pilot bearing like mine was.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 02-12-2011 | 06:06 AM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

just to be technical that's a pilot bushing not a pilot bearing

but I don't know what they usually look like after some mileage
Old 02-12-2011 | 07:17 AM
TECH Veteran

I encountered this recently, however I have a LT1 but my thoughts would apply here as well. The bushing opened up a good .060" bigger than the input stub and caused a nasty vibration between shifts.

The pilot bushing can become severly worn if the input/main shaft loses preload from normal wear and tear and becomes sloppy. This is easy to detect when the tranny is out because the input shaft will flop up and down an unusual amount. If this is the case, the input/main shaft preload needs to be restored which will require some disassembly of the tranny.
Old 02-12-2011 | 09:11 AM
jmd
TECH Addict
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by wrd1972
I encountered this recently, however I have a LT1 but my thoughts would apply here as well. The bushing opened up a good .060" bigger than the input stub and caused a nasty vibration between shifts.

The pilot bushing can become severly worn if the input/main shaft loses preload from normal wear and tear and becomes sloppy. This is easy to detect when the tranny is out because the input shaft will flop up and down an unusual amount. If this is the case, the input/main shaft preload needs to be restored which will require some disassembly of the tranny.
Input shaft lateral play is not a valid measurement unless the trans. is installed in a proper pilot bushing/bearing. Endplay needs measured.
Old 02-12-2011 | 02:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jmd
Input shaft lateral play is not a valid measurement unless the trans. is installed in a proper pilot bushing/bearing. Endplay needs measured.
When an input shaft flops the amount mine did just sitting on the bench, a measurement is not required because there is an obvious problem. After I set the mainshaft preload to .001" (within tremac spec), nearly all of that input slop was gone.

I agree for a valid, diagnosis, a measurement is needed.

Quick Reply: Is this normal? Pics of pilot bearing.