Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Quick disconnect fitting on Slave cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! Problem is, my plastic piece is either gone or pushed farther in. Is the plastic piece what keeps the connector in place or is there another piece in there that the plastic piece moves? I'll find out in the morning when I mess with it more I guess.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

The plastic isn't what keeps the connector in place, it is the magic piece that unlocks the connector. The act of pushing the plastic piece up into the connector unolcks it. Once you get it apart and look at it, you will understand perfectly. It is hard to explain it with text.

Do you have a new slave? Get it and take a look at the connector on the new slave. You will see all the little fingers in there that lock the connector in place. When you shove the plastic piece up in there, it moves all the little fingers out of the way so that the connector can come out.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Unfortunately I don't have a new slave. I hope that the plastic piece is just farther in because if it's gone I don't see how I'd be able to dislodge the connector. I'm going to go try again now.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

You will need the plastic piece. You might have to order the entire master cylinder assembly to get this .20 cent piece? I am not sure though?
Old 02-15-2004, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I did it. I went and found some plastic rings that looked the same at Pep Boys and Waalaah! It popped right out. I was missing the plastic piece. Anyway, I got the whole drill mod, bleed thing out of the way and the clutch definately feels better. Thanks everyone.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good Deal!
Old 02-16-2004, 07:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dal1as
Well I did it. I went and found some plastic rings that looked the same at Pep Boys and Waalaah! It popped right out. I was missing the plastic piece. Anyway, I got the whole drill mod, bleed thing out of the way and the clutch definately feels better. Thanks everyone.
You found the Plastic Ring at Pep Boys???
What did they call it?
Old 02-16-2004, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bugsquawsher
You found the Plastic Ring at Pep Boys???
What did they call it?
I can get the part number when I get home but it was a box of about 6 and were called brake spacers or something. After looking at the pictures they looked pretty close to the dimensions of the plastic ring on the disconnect so I figured what the hell and they freaking worked. lol
Old 02-17-2004, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Someone had asked about the part number for the bushings/rings I used to disconnect the slave disconnect.

It is #74016. It's a container of about 6 rings/bushings for brake and clutch pedal shafts. The package is red with HELP! on it. They are called Brake & Clutch bushings. Hope this can help someone in the future who is also missing the plastic ring on the disconnect.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dal1as
Someone had asked about the part number for the bushings/rings I used to disconnect the slave disconnect.

It is #74016. It's a container of about 6 rings/bushings for brake and clutch pedal shafts. The package is red with HELP! on it. They are called Brake & Clutch bushings. Hope this can help someone in the future who is also missing the plastic ring on the disconnect.

That is cool
I think I'll get some just to have at the house for all the tranny work I do there.
Although I'm gettin realy tired of pullin trannies from all these cars.
Old 11-26-2004, 08:12 PM
Teching In

who makes the proper tool for this, or where it is available
Old 11-27-2004, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

My 02 SS did not have the plastic release piece either from the factory. I ran into the same damn trouble when I tried to do the drill mod. I searched and searched and finally found a post where someone told about the HELP brake @ bushings kit and it worked fine taking the line out of the slave.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:28 PM
Teching In

what is a HELP brake @ bushings kit???????????
Old 11-30-2004, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

There you go. Old post. Still having issues with my clutch. Probably need a new slave.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So you are putting back together with out a replacement sleeve? You should get a new one.
For those who have used screw drivers to release the sleeve/ connection = check that you have not burred or upset the edge of the sleeve. A burr can cause the connection to not fully seat and be a leak source when re-used. I think a rolled piece of shim stock can also release these sleeves. The tools I have seen for this are really cheezy for the $.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

No need for the sleeve if you have the plastic rings I posted about. Takes about 1 minute to push it in and pop out the connector.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Teching In

I know this is an old thread but thanks for the info. I was trying everything to get it disconnected and couldnt. Thats because I took that white plastic ring off, I feel like a dumb *** now!! After reading this it took all of 30 seconds to get it off.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blksun1
I know this is an old thread but thanks for the info. I was trying everything to get it disconnected and couldnt. Thats because I took that white plastic ring off, I feel like a dumb *** now!! After reading this it took all of 30 seconds to get it off.
Like really old!!
Old 12-10-2011, 04:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blksun1
+1 just pulled mine and the ring was almost destroyed already, damn lucky we got it off already. I been searching all day for a replacement and been coming up with nothing until reading this. Now going to pepboys
Old 12-10-2011, 04:21 PM
11 Second Club

With these cars getting a little older now, someone may want to add this part number to a sticky somewhere as im sure its going to become a more frequent problem so everybody doesn't get shafted into buying a gm slave just for a ring huh

Quick Reply: Quick disconnect fitting on Slave cylinder