Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch balance?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 07:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch balance?

Anyone have a clutch that wasn't exactly balanced? My SPEC Stage IV is pretty close, I guess, but not as close as I'd like. For the most part, the clutch is smooth enough for street use at low RPM's, but even around 2500 it will vibrate like a ****.. If you disengage and re-engage the clutch quickly, moving the disc a bit and reclamping down under the pressure plate, the vibration characteristics change. There's even a "sweet spot" I can find where it doesn't vibrate much at all. At higher RPM's, the vibrations are really pissing off my knock sensors (+12 deg knock retard), and it doesn't exactly make me happy thinking about how my poor rear main bearing and transmission input shaft bearing are feeling about the whole mess.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm no expert but when you tightened down the pressure plate did you cross torque the bolts evenly? Did you look and verify that all the forks were even on the pressure plate after you tightened the pressure plate down? These things are the only thing I can think of.

I installed my Zo6 clutch & never had any vibration, Fred
Old 02-16-2004, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Clutch install was done properly, that part I'm 100% certain on ... There's no problem with engagement, this thing grabs like a homeless guy to a wine bottle. For an unsprung disc, it engages VERY smooth -- no chatter and very drivable. The only complaint is the disc is out of balance!
Old 02-16-2004, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's probably the PP out of balance. Have yet to see a clutch that was balanced properly from the manufacturer. The McLeods are the worst, the Rams are the closest. I think it's worth the effort to take it out and get it balanced by a competent machine shop.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Was the pilot bearing in good shape? That is the only other thing beside balance and what was already mentioned that can cause vibration.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Brand new roller bearing, and the input shaft is in great shape as well. Once I finish up some other projects around the homestead, I'll likely drop the trans and get it balanced... Guess I shouldn't have made any assumptions to begin with The car is serving daily driver duty right now anyway, so its not too big of a deal.

Quick Reply: Clutch balance?