Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch break in time

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch break in time

i just installed a monster stage 3 clutch. Whenever i take off my car jerks. i was told it was going to do that for a while. does anyone have experience with the stage 3 that can fill me in as to how long it takes for it to go away. Can i slide into 1st on this clutch like i did my stock? this is my first manual and not the greatest at matching the rpms so im nervous about dumping the clutch or treating it as an on/off switch.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:49 PM
FormerVendor

If we did not include a break in sheet with your clutch, I apologize. Here is a copy of what it says:

"The break in period is for 500 miles, in this 500 mile period you want to heat cycle the clutch material as much as possible. By this we mean that you want to do as much stop-and-go traffic as possible in the first 500 miles, try and avoid long road trips. If you can’t avoid long distance trips then do not count those as break in miles.

We recommend you drive your vehicle to and from work if this commute includes stop-and-go traffic. This will allow you to work the pedal repeatedly with an ample cool down period while you are working or when you get home.

It is imperative that you follow these instructions. This material must be tempered by heat cycling or it will not hold the advertised power. If you have any questions at all regarding your break in period please contact us directly."

That jerking you are experiencing can be alliviated with taking off at a slightly higher rpm and not slipping the clutch excessively. With a little practice you will be able to take off smoothly. Give us a call if you have any questions.

Matt
817-750-2000
Old 03-14-2011, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You probably did but I had it for a while so probably lost the paper work. Thanks

Quick Reply: clutch break in time