Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Noise, vibrations and other fun issues. FIXED

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 11:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Noise, vibrations and other fun issues. FIXED

Ok, I could really use some help here. First about the related parts. In 2006 I had a level 4 t56 installed from Six Speed Inc, along with an LS7 clutch, pilot bearing (needle style, is solid better?) and new slave. Master cylinder has the drill mod but it's the factory one. The installers told me there was a small whine but it was very quiet at first. Also, it would stop when the clutch was pressed in. Dealing with SSI had been a nightmare so I didn't contact them.

The issues have been getting worse over time, the whine is fairly low pitch but it's loud with any significant load/rpm and still goes away when you press the clutch in. Now days I have to pause between gears or it will grind a small amout in every gear. Wait, it gets better. If I press the clutch in above 2500 rpms, not even heavy throttle, I get a nasty vibration. Did I get a pos trans from ssi? Screwed up pilot bearing causing a misalignment issue? Slave maybe?

Any ideas how to narrow down the issues? I've only put about 30k miles on the car since then, easy miles for the most part.

The trans has all the common upgrades, solid keys, bronze fork pads, steel 3-4 shift fork and even mikronited.

Update:
It was the pilot bearing, good call fastfatboy. In the pic below you can see what was in betweeen the input shaft and the pto of the crank.

Last edited by soulless; 04-16-2011 at 02:38 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:42 PM
Launching!

No ideas?
Old 03-18-2011, 05:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pilot bearing, with the clutch in sitting still, rev it does it vibrate?
Old 03-18-2011, 06:46 PM
Launching!

Yes, just not as bad.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:59 PM
Launching!

Also, it makes the noise if it's in gear even if the clutch is pushed in but no noise in neutral. Does that indicate the trans itself?
Old 03-22-2011, 10:57 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Most of the time a whine like that indicates a problem with the main drive (input shaft) gear teeth. If the fluid was ever ran low, it will "undercut" the teeth, forming a line across each tooth, where it has cut in. The vibration is probably a bad pilot bearing. When I say "bad", I mean that there's probably nothing left of it, or it was left out all together. Also could be broken springs on the clutch disc hub. Either way, you're going to need to pull the tranny and clutch, then inspect.

Sent you a PM
Old 04-16-2011, 02:39 AM
Launching!

bumping