Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Torque cut module for face plated and dog engagement gear sets

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 10:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SWeiser31
If you've got it hooked to the clutch pedal switch, then yes it would activate and cut the spark each time you push in the clutch. Some say it makes power shifting a little easier with a syncronized trans, although I don't recommend you do that.
The MSD 2-step Launch Control does NOT cut spark between shifts,,, I would like to make that perfectly clear. Once you launch off the 2-step, the rpms need to drop by 1/3 of the set launch rpm before it re-sets itself into "launch mode". So if you're leaving off the line @ 6k, the rpm's would need to drop below 4k before it would limit rpm's again, but only when the clutch pedal is depressed.

Mike

Last edited by Mikey 97Z M6; 05-05-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LPE,

You guys are making some great strides with this setup. That graph is very revealing!!

Mike
Old 05-05-2011, 12:14 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Torque cut method

The torque cut is a full torque cut for the length of time selected by the dial (0.025 to 0.095 seconds is the range available right now).

The engine torque is cut by disabling all cylinders from firing the spark plugs during that period of time (ignition cut).

FYI - at 6000 rpm, a 0.025 second (25 msec) torque cut is 2.5 engine revolutions and 1.25 firing events & 0.095 second (95 msec) is 9.5 engine revolutions and 4.75 firing events.

Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan
I have to assume since they specify torque I would have to believe they are killing timing, I could be wrong though.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:15 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default GMPP E67 ECU and LPE LNC devices

Yes, the LPE torque cut module (and our other LNC 2-step type devices) will work with the E67 ECM and should work with any system that uses the OEM GM type coils.

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Will this add on device work with the GM Performance Parts swap ECU and harness package? It uses the E67 ECU.

Here is another shifter **** option:
http://www.holinger.com.au/*****.php
I have no clue as to the cost, but it looks nice.

Andrew
Old 05-05-2011, 12:23 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Torque cut for clutch type shifts

We have some customers that have used our standard 2-step modules to cut the torque on the gear change to improve the response/reduce the shock when they do a no lift shift while still using the clutch. They have reported good results doing this but we have not tested it ourselves. This is also done fairly often by some of the import drag racers.

If you have our LNC-001, LNC-002 or LNC-003 2-step tied into the clutch pedal switch then it will activate on each shift (unless you are using our MPH switch to deactivate it once you are moving).

NOTE - it is my understanding that, as someone else already pointed out, the MSD 2-step uses a latched type logic that expects to see an specific RPM drop before the 2-step is activated again so it will not work this way.

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
Dumb ? but would the msd 2 step be similar when you press the clutch pedal and shift? Or am I totally wrong?
Old 05-05-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
The MSD 2-step Launch Control does NOT cut spark between shifts,,, I would like to make that perfectly clear. Once you launch off the 2-step, the rpms need to drop by 1/3 of the set launch rpm before it re-sets itself into "launch mode". So if you're leaving off the line @ 6k, the rpm's would need to drop below 4k before it would limit rpm's again, but only when the clutch pedal is depressed.

Mike
Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't aware of that. What I get for assuming again.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,420 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Haines @ LPE
Yes, the LPE torque cut module (and our other LNC 2-step type devices) will work with the E67 ECM and should work with any system that uses the OEM GM type coils.
Thank you for the clarification. Neat product. I wish this was out when I had my RX7 with a faceplated Liberty T56.

Andrew
Old 05-12-2011, 04:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 413 Likes on 331 Posts

Any updates?? I'm anxious.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:03 AM
10 Second Club

Are you guys ready to take my money yet?
Old 05-16-2011, 04:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Torque cut module

Yes, we would like to get a few more out to beta testers before we release the product to the public. PM me and we can arrange getting you the module.

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Are you guys ready to take my money yet?
Old 05-16-2011, 08:29 PM
CARTEK Racing

Wanna send me one to test? lol

Faceplated gear set by Liberty assembled by Tick Performance in NC
Old 05-31-2011, 05:06 PM
10 Second Club

any updates??
Old 07-30-2011, 02:47 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default More torque cut module testing

Here is a video of our no-lift shift module (LNC-TC1) being run in our Camaro at the Lingenfelter annual track day at Muncie drag strip earlier this month. These are wide open throttle clutchless shifts.

Link to in-car video on YouTube.

Here is a link to a much longer video from our track event. 1st two passes show the in car and then an external shot from the vehicle. I don't recall if any other video from that car are in the video.

LPE track day summary video.

I will post some of the VBox acceleration data as well (when I get time to make the graphs etc.).

Compared to the previous videos/testing, we changed to a more sensitive load cell shifter (less load for the same voltage output). We also changed to a new transmission. It is a faceplated TR6060 with straight cut gears. The gears were made by Liberty and the transmission was assembled by RPM Transmissions.

We will be doing a bit more "testing" tonight on the transmission and shift torque cut module. We have a few of the modules out being tested by customers. We would like to get some more feedback from that testing before releasing the product. We have already made one change to the software and that is to allow external devices to control the torque cut via an analog input signal.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:56 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Faceplated and straight cut gear TR6060 transmission pictures

Here are some pictures of the face-plated straight-cut gear Tremec TR6060 Camaro transmission built for us by RPM Transmissions (pictures from Jeremy at RPM Transmissions):

Old 07-30-2011, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Very nice. This maybe a stupid question, but why don't you guys just split the sliders and make the trans clutchless?
Old 07-30-2011, 03:37 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Load cell shifter sources

We will be selling a load cell shift **** for use with our shift torque cut module. The LPE load cell shift ***** will be $799 and are custom ordered/custom built so they take 2 to 3 weeks. Right now they are billet aluminum but we are looking at housing the load cell in our custom Momo T56 leather shift ***** as well.

Other sources for load cell shift ***** include:

HITEC Sensor Solutions, Inc.
This company will put a load cell into your existing shift lever.

Hollinger makes a shift ****. It sells for around $1092. It is available in the US from:
AUTOTECHdriveline

Futek has a range of load cell shift *****. They sell for around $2100 each (mostly used by OEM companies for testing and racing applications).
Futek

I found a few other companies using Google but I am not familiar with these companies:

Raja Loadcell
Looks very similar to the Futek pictures and specifications.

Sensor Development

Sunrise Instruments

Any company that works with load cells should be able to produce a shifter load cell. Some people have also used spring loaded switch type shift ***** or levers for activating the torque cut on a gear change.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:10 PM
10 Second Club

I want one tq cut module and shifter please.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Banned

Default Nice work, Jason Haines

Jason,

Thanks for putting this product together, and providing good reference resources for the community. We carry the Pfitzner low helical angle 4 & 6 Gear clutchless gearset for T56 and will let customers know about this product's availability.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,420 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Epic GT
Very nice. This maybe a stupid question, but why don't you guys just split the sliders and make the trans clutchless?
Wouldn't that cause the trans to pop out of gear under coasting load? That's not a problem for a drag race car, but this trans can also easily be used for road racing applications.

Andrew
Old 08-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Wouldn't that cause the trans to pop out of gear under coasting load? That's not a problem for a drag race car, but this trans can also easily be used for road racing applications.
Absolutely correct. My impression was this setup was more for drags and not road racing, hence I thought my question was valid. With decent rear end gearing, you could likely cruise in 5th/6th most of the time, so coasting would not be a major problem for street driving too. Besides, if you're so hardcore to drive a faceplated trans on the street, I doubt if the additional step of being clutchless would cause you much concern.

Quick Reply: Torque cut module for face plated and dog engagement gear sets