Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Torque cut module for face plated and dog engagement gear sets

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 02:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Haines @ LPE
We don't currently have plans to make a module that does torque cut and timing retard. Our new circuit board and enclosure wouldn't accept the number of user adjustment dials needed to do that.
Thanks Jason, I know which one to order now
Old 04-11-2013, 04:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Are there any updates to this?

Is the straight gear transmission available from Liberty?

Andrew
Old 04-11-2013, 05:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm curious too. Been thinking more about this lately..
Old 04-12-2013, 06:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I still don't have mine on yet. Should be on in a few weeks though.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:05 PM
CARTEK Racing

Wish this was more affordable, already having a face-plated T56 Im half way there... $900 for the load cell is steep, thought I understand the technical challenges of making such an item and the accosted costs. Looks like Ill stick to using the clutch.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:18 PM
10 Second Club

def something im considering if not this season maybe next
Old 04-18-2014, 05:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
Just to clarify. This is NOT a Pfitzner gearset. This is a collaborative engineering project by Lingenfelter Performance Engineering, RPM Transmissions and Liberty's Gears.

Thanks Jason for all the effort keeping this thread informative and up to date!
Jeremy,

Did this transmission ever make it to market?

Andrew
Old 04-21-2014, 07:42 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have built several straight cut gear set, dog engagement transmissions.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
We have built several straight cut gear set, dog engagement transmissions.
Is this product top secret? Is there more information available? Price? Gear ratios? etc...

Andrew
Old 04-21-2014, 10:31 AM
FormerVendor

No. There are a couple gear sets available. Give me a call at the shop and we can discuss.

Thanks
Old 07-15-2014, 10:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I see this is on Lingenfelter's website for sale now. Anyone using it with a faceplated trans?
Old 08-19-2015, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just picked up a straight cut gear, dog-ring T56 built by RPM to go in my 67 Cougar and I am pretty excited about it.

I am using a Holley Dominator ECU, and for some reason the "flat-shift" feature is not yet part of their software, but I think I can use the Lingenfelter torque cut module with any ECU. It's unfortunate that the load cells are so expensive.

Andrew
Old 08-21-2015, 10:15 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
I just picked up a straight cut gear, dog-ring T56 built by RPM to go in my 67 Cougar and I am pretty excited about it.

I am using a Holley Dominator ECU, and for some reason the "flat-shift" feature is not yet part of their software, but I think I can use the Lingenfelter torque cut module with any ECU. It's unfortunate that the load cells are so expensive.

Andrew

Load cells are only viable for a sequential setup as fore/aft movement generates a different voltage movement which differentiates an up or down shift.

For an H pattern whilst not ideal either, you can buy a shift **** with internal micro switch to tell any controller to activate a cut.
This will give a set of closed contacts on either fore/aft movement

http://www.sqsracing.com/produkt/319...ver-power-****

they also offer a universal controller to cut spark/fuel for a pre-set time

http://www.sqsracing.com/produkt/317...ut-power-shift

Although obviously it would be best for the ecu to do everything,

Last edited by stevieturbo; 08-21-2015 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:27 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default LPE Torque Cut

The LPE torque cut box only works with systems using the OEM GM LS coils (or aftermarket equivalent coils) being controlled in the same way GM controls them. To use the Holley you would have to be using LS coils and not the Holley coils (different control strategy).

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO

Andrew
Old 08-21-2015, 12:16 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Load cell shift ****, non-sequential trans and LNC-TC1

Actually our LNC-TC1 torque cut box works with non-sequential transmissions and load cell shift *****. It is designed to work with a directional 2.5V +/- 2.0 volt type load cell but can also be used with non-directional load cells.

We have two settings in the device depending on if you are using a sequential transmission (so an upshift is always in the same direction on the load cell) or if you are using an H-gate type shifter.

Our TC1 module can also be used with momentary switch or toggle-switch type shift ***** (like the one you link to).

Per our product instructions:
LNC-TC1 load cell input modes (also see Table A on page 14):

The LNC-TC1 has two modes of operation for the load cell input. One uses the directional load information (Voltage Mode) and one ignores the directional information (Time Based Mode).
Voltage Mode and Time Based Mode are controlled by the orange Input On wire, the rotary Kill Enable Offset Voltage switch and the rotary Kill Time switch. If 12 volts is applied to the orange Input On wire and the Kill Enable Offset Voltage switch and the Kill Time switch are both set to positions 0-E, then you will be in Voltage Mode.
If nothing is connected to the orange Input On wire and the Kill Enable Offset Voltage switch and the Kill Time switch are both set to positions 0-E, then you will be in Time Based Mode.

Voltage Mode:
When in Voltage Mode, the LNC-TC1 uses the directional load information to prevent multiple torque cuts when the shifter is pulled in the same direction. When in this mode and connected to a directional output type load cell type shifter, once a torque cut occurs in one direction, the LNC-TC1 will not cut
torque again until it sees the shift lever cross back to zero load (2.5V) and then go the other direction in load. So if you pull back on the lever and apply a load that goes below 2.5 volts, the LNC-TC1 will not perform another torque cut until the lever is pushed forward and the load cell output goes above 2.5 volts.

Time Based Mode:
When in Time Based Mode the LNC-TC1 ignores the directional nature of the load cell input signal (if you are using a directional load cell). To reduce false or redundant torque cuts, the LNC-TC1 waits 0.050 seconds (50 msec) after a torque cut occurs before it will allow another torque cut to occur. Anything above or below the 2.5 volt centering voltage (0 load) that meets the Kill Enable Offset Voltage setting will trigger a torque cut. This mode may be needed in road racing conditions where you may not change gears in order. This mode is also needed when using the LNC-TC1 with a sequential type transmission where all upshifts involve pushing up or pulling back on the shift lever. This mode must be used when non-directional type load cells are used.

Momentary switch or toggle-switch type shift **** operation:
When using a momentary switch on your shifter or a toggle-switch type shift **** (on-off type spring loaded switch) then the momentary switch should be wired such that when the switch is depressed, +12 volts are applied to the orange Input On wire. The Kill Enable Offset Voltage switch should be set
to the F position (ALT). The length of the torque cut can be controlled two ways when in this mode. If the Kill Time switch is set to positions 0-E then the LNC-TC1 will cut the engine for the length of time specified by the switch position (0.025 to 0.095 seconds). If the Kill Time switch is set to position F
(OFF) then the LNC-TC1 will cut the torque for as long as the momentary switch is held (for as long as 12 volts is applied to the orange Input On wire).
Also note that the TC1 torque cut module cuts torque by disabling firing events so it is not compatible with catalyst equipped vehicles. We have another product (LNC-TRM) that reduces torque via timing retard (up to 50 degrees of timing retard authority) that is designed to be compatible with catalyst equipped vehicles but it is not designed to be connected to a load cell. It is designed to be connected to stand-alone devices such as aftermarket transmission controllers, traction control modules etc. It could also be connected to a simple momentary shift ****/switch.

With the LNC-TRM you can adjust the length of time for the torque reduction and the slope of the ramp rate.

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Load cells are only viable for a sequential setup as fore/aft movement generates a different voltage movement which differentiates an up or down shift.

For an H pattern whilst not ideal either, you can buy a shift **** with internal micro switch to tell any controller to activate a cut.
This will give a set of closed contacts on either fore/aft movement

http://www.sqsracing.com/produkt/319...ver-power-****

they also offer a universal controller to cut spark/fuel for a pre-set time

http://www.sqsracing.com/produkt/317...ut-power-shift

Although obviously it would be best for the ecu to do everything,
Old 08-21-2015, 04:12 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Sounds like quite a versatile unit.

Quick Reply: Torque cut module for face plated and dog engagement gear sets