Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Grinding noise in first gear.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default T56 Grinding noise in first gear.

I noticed this the other day when going through a drivethru and it echoed off the wall. Im getting a grinding noise in first. I dont think its clutch related, it almost sounds like gears grinding. It does it when I completly let off the clutch and start to roll. Once I get rolling pretty good it goes away and does not do it in any other gear. I get no noises with the clutch pressed in or when sitting still.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can kind of hear it at the bottom of each gear now. im gonna check my fluid tomorrow.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:49 AM
On The Tree

You're probably hearing the low RPM/high load grinding noise almost all T56's do. I get the same thing if I fully engage the clutch at anything lower than 1,300rpm or so. In all gears.

It's annoying, but I'm used to it. Most people either put up with it or put on a loud exhaust to drown it out.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine do that some time when it so god dam cold out side, wnyhen fluid get warm up, itnever happent. check your fluid, mabe give mobil 1 atf a try.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok guys Im bumping this. The fluid level is ok but it seems to be getting louder. When the car is in neutral I can kinda hear a tapping noise and it stops when I press in the clutch.

When I let off the clutch about halfway and let the car lurch foward it does it pretty bad. Once I get going I can hear it under 2000 rpms but over 2000 I cant hear it anymore.

The car shifts very smooth. It doesnt whine at high speeds. I just installed a Hurst Billet shifter and it does transfer more sound into the car but Im getting worried now. The clutch is also slipping pretty bad in the higher gears. I was playing with my new shifter power shifting and hit third and just blew through the old clutch, ever since then its been slipping. Im thinking it may be the throwout bearing and Im pulling the tranny next weekend to install a new clutch kit. What are some other things it could be? Input shaft bearing? I need to know what else to look for. I really dont have the money to rebuild the transmission I hope its nothing serious.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It sounds like burst rattle. If it happens when you are engaging( letting out/ off the peddle) and goes away when you get the car rolling, this could be it. It is not a big concern. If you let the clutch out quicker, you can lessen the prob/ concern. A thicker oil will help. You could try a synchromesh safely in the T56.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the reply. My dad kneeled next to the car and I lurched foward and he said it sound like its coming from the front of the transmission. Im gonna either go with synchromesh or DexIII when I pull the tranny next weekend.

Quick Reply: T56 Grinding noise in first gear.