Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

94 Z t56 trans problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Z t56 trans problems

Well i got the car last night, drove it all the way home. (the owner met me halfway which was 350 miles) i drove another 380 miles, no problems.

I was aware of the 3rd gear synchro problems, and it grinded into 3rd sometimes..unless i babied it.

So i get home, wake up in the morning, and head out to the store..and i go out the neighborhood 1st - 2nd - 3rd good, get to the first light, and it wont go in first , just grinds in all gears except 2nd

I can force it into 2nd, but when i take it out of 2nd, its like the clutch isnt being disengaged, like i just yanked it out of gear without the clutch pedal.

And also sincee i was in the middle of the street, i had to take it back home in 2nd, and when i took off in 2nd, it would make a squealing noise until i released th eclutch and it got up to speed.

and it goes into gear when its off, and if i put it in 1st when its off, and try to go it will squeal like 2nd. but will not go in reverse at all off or on

well i believe i found the culprit, this nice little gem came rolling out the bellhousing when i was bleeding the clutch...

any ideas on what it is? Im pulling the trans mission back tomorrow morning and checking it out, but any ideas on what this is?
Old 04-06-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That's an alignment dowel. It couldn't have come out unless the trans is separated 1"+ from the bellhousing. The previous owner probably lost it in the bell during the last R&R and it's finally found it's way up into the clutch and trashed it.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:58 PM

from what i see now, it looks like the clutch fork is broken again...im in the process of pulling it down.. so hopefully by the night i will have this resolved!

thanks for the help.

whats the recommendation for a clutch fork replacement? this is the 2nd on thats broke.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
That's an alignment dowel. It couldn't have come out unless the trans is separated 1"+ from the bellhousing. The previous owner probably lost it in the bell during the last R&R and it's finally found it's way up into the clutch and trashed it.
u were right!

Quick Reply: 94 Z t56 trans problems