Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LT1 t56 clutch stroke/throw help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 t56 clutch stroke/throw help?

I have a Wilwood Master cylinder, which is a .75 bore, 1.4 inch stroke. The slave cylinder I used was a 1" bore, with a ? stroke. It came from a 1990 Camaro, rather than the 93 camaro which my T56 is from. I had read on various forums that this slave (the 90) could be swapped because it was essentially the same as the stock (93) slave, but it had a bleeder.

I was beginning to bleed the system, and I was noticing that the pedal effort was quite high. Suddenly, KABLAM. The slave cylinder burst. It looked as if the cylinder had extended past its end, and blew all of its seals.

I am not sure what size the original stock master cylinder/slave is. On rock auto, there is a slave cylinder which is 11/16" and a master that is 7/8". On summit, the Master is listed as a 3/4" and the slave is 1 1/4". I'm not sure which source to believe -- and what is more troubling is that since I don't know the stroke length on the stock master, I am unsure exactly how much fluid is being displaced.

Cdboy warned me about Pedal effort/pedal ratio -- I am limited on Master cylinders (my application can only fit the Wilwood compact master -- the .75 is the largest of the type that i see on their site.) What should I do? I am also unsure exactly how much throw I need from the slave to fully disengage the clutch -- 1/2 an inch? .75 inches?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks guys...
Old 04-18-2011, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would just install another one and use a pedal stop starting very high using a rev method to see where the pedal needs to stop in order to have the clutch fully disengauged. Pretty easy way to not deal with trying to convert and mismatch parts.

Quick Reply: LT1 t56 clutch stroke/throw help?