Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Slave cylinder travel -- how much needed to disengage clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slave cylinder travel -- how much needed to disengage clutch?

Hi guys,

I have been having a tough time figuring out the slave movement, and if i am able to disengage the clutch with what I have. (this is a T56 from a 1993 camaro.)

Right now, I have the following setup:

Master: 1.9cm bore
Slave: 2.54cm bore
Master stroke: 1.9cm
fluid displaced by master: 5.38cm^3

When i worked out the math it looks like i'm getting about 1.06cm of travel at the slave. When i tried to bleed the system last time, i blew the slave cylinder. The piston had over traveled and burst out the end.

My question is about how much travel do i need to get from my slave to disengage my clutch. The T56 that I purchased came with a new "Stage 1" clutch, whatever that means. I assume it's a little stiffer than a stock clutch. I don't mind if the pedal is stiff, I can work that out later. I just want it to disengage the clutch!

Can anyone tell me how much distance I need? Will i need to make a new push rod?
Old 04-24-2011, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There isnt enough info here to tell you an exact travel distance mathmatically.

We would need the full geometry of your current setup, clutch stack height, exact amount of clutch wear, manufacture specs on needed travel for clutch release, ect ect ect ect ect..

You are making this a lot harder than it has to be.. Get a pedal stop and start way high where you know it will not disengage.. Then slowly lower the pedal stop towards the floor until the car will easily go into gear without trying to roll away.. If you are unhappy about how high the pedal release point is simply cut the rod shorter and reweld it at the length you are comfortable with making the floor or pedal stop (if you prefer) the stop point..

Quick Reply: Slave cylinder travel -- how much needed to disengage clutch?