Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Strange shifting problem.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange shifting problem.

Hey guys. I just bought a WS6 and am having an issue with it I didn't notice when I test drove it. As long as I drive normally it drives fine, but if I run the car hard it doesn't want to go into gear without grinding. Sometimes it wont go in at all. But here is the catch, I can run up the RPMs and if I hold the clutch down for a second it will go into gear ok. I was playing around with it in the driveway and noticed that it does it even if sitting still at idle. WTF!?! The previous owner said it had a clutch installed not to long ago, but I'm beginning to wonder if half of what he said was b.s. or not.

Here is a list of the mods he said was done to the car.

Stage 2 clutch
Pro 5 short shifter
Skip shift eliminator
Longtube headers
Offroad Y pipe
Hooker exhaust
Cam (I forgot the cam specs)
Whisper lid
K&N Filter
Slotted rotors
Tick Mastercylinder
Old 04-25-2011, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like a hydraulic issue which these cars are known for. However, the tick usually solves that problem. Maybe it needs to be adjusted for more flow.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

How would I go about doing that? I'm willing to try just about anything at this point as I'm broke after buying the car outright. lol
Old 04-25-2011, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There should be an adjustment screw on the master cylinder behind your clutch pedal. I'm not sure exactly where on the unit it is but should be pretty obvious. Just back the screw adjustment out a little at a time and see if it makes any difference. You may also want to consider flushing your fluid with some fresh stuff.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

Ok. Its dark out now, but I'll have a go at it tomorrow after I get off work. Thanks.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

Check your fluid. and the last owner probably lied that he replaced the clutch, cause my car is doing the same thing and its becasue i need a new clutch, i can cruise around fine but if i race it i miss gears cuz it wont go in, I lost soo many races cuz of this old *** clutch so i dont race until i get my new clutch, just lazy.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

I will try that. I was thinking about pulling the transmission this weekend and checking to see what the clutch looked like anyway. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, so I drained the transmission fluid and it looked good. Didn't smell burnt or look dirty. Also checked the clutch fluid under the hood and it is pretty clean as well. Tried to adjust the rod behind the pedal in and out and it only got worse. I've got it adjusted a little farther out than it was, but it's no better really. I guess I can pull the transmission this weekend and look at the clutch to verify it is after market. I have to say at this point I really hope that's all it is. I can probably afford a new clutch, but no way I could get the trans rebuilt anytime soon.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:29 PM
12 Second Club

check that the hydraulic line is as far and shielded as possible from any heat source. also see if you have a remote bleeder. its really my favorite part ever, it allows you to properly bleed and not soak the clutch.

gotta keep the clutch fluid fresh in these cars especially with headers, i do it with every oil change
Old 04-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

Default Thank you Jeremy@RPMTransmissions!!!

I haven't cured the problem yet, but with the help of Jeremy @ RPM I think I have narrowed it down to the slave cylinder. After trying to get in touch with several of the sponsors here I will leave nameless, I called up to Jeremy and asked for his opinion. After about a 15 minute phone call he told me to try switching off the ignition when it started to grind putting it in gear, sitting still of course, and if it goes right in then I had a clutch disengagement problem most likely being something with the slave having air in the system or being bad. Well sure enough, I switch of the ignition and it pops right in. I tried to bleed out the slave some today with not luck so hopefully I'm going to have the time to be able to drop the transmission this weekend and inspect clutch and replace the slave.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WeakSauce6
I haven't cured the problem yet, but with the help of Jeremy @ RPM I think I have narrowed it down to the slave cylinder. After trying to get in touch with several of the sponsors here I will leave nameless, I called up to Jeremy and asked for his opinion. After about a 15 minute phone call he told me to try switching off the ignition when it started to grind putting it in gear, sitting still of course, and if it goes right in then I had a clutch disengagement problem most likely being something with the slave having air in the system or being bad. Well sure enough, I switch of the ignition and it pops right in. I tried to bleed out the slave some today with not luck so hopefully I'm going to have the time to be able to drop the transmission this weekend and inspect clutch and replace the slave.
WeakSauce6, this sounds very similar to a problem I have posted about on this forum in one way about for months - with no fix. I too, have come to the conclusion it is likely the slave cylinder and bought one this afternoon actually. A good friend and I were going to attempt the swap tonight, but it looks like I'm going to have to pay someone to do it because my schedule and his do not line up at all. Please post back with your results - I would love to see this confirmed. There are lots of people on this forum with the same issue that will be thrilled to hear about it.

Quick Reply: Strange shifting problem.