Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

800 miles after Monster Stage 2, lightweight flywheel, Tick MC... HAPPY CUSTOMER

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 01:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 800 miles after Monster Stage 2, lightweight flywheel, Tick MC... HAPPY CUSTOMER

Just wanted to post my thoughts on my recent clutch install. I installed a Monster Stage 2 (with their redesigned disc) kit, lightweight chromoly 18lb flywheel, new GM slave, Tick master cylinder, Tick speed bleeder. The Monster website has an image of an old Stage 2 disc rated at 525ftlb, and when I received the clutch, the disc looked like the Stage 1, just a little different. I called them up, and they inform me they redesigned the Stage 2 to be more street friendly and handle an extra 25 ftlb for a total of 550ftlb rating, don't be fooled by the looks, because they have not updated the website. The guys at Monster were great to talk to, they genuinely sounded like they appreciate your business, unlike some companies who don't care at all.

Here is the said disc.

I installed the Tick master cylinder a few days before the the clutch install, and after some adjustment even on a stock 107k mile clutch, and slave, it was no nice to rip through all the gears wide open without missing a beat. I installed the clutch that weekend and it went flawless, due to the ease of a lift!

I am now at 800 miles on the clutch, and 100% of the chatter is gone, the pedal and clutch has an amazing predictable feel, with a heavier than stock, but not super stiff pedal. The clutch is super streetable. It engages much like a stock clutch, but with more beef! And at WOT, it shifts like a dream; clutch grabs hard, I now hear 2nd gear hit the tires a lot harder. With the Tick, it lands every gear every time.

I have only one CON to this clutch.... I'm now afraid for my 10bolt!

Thumbs up to the guys at Tick for answering all my questions and providing great support and a great product.

Thumbs up to the guys at Monster for this awesome clutch and great customer service!

Last edited by HoLLo; 05-01-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

NICE! I got my monster stage 2, Tick master and speed bleeder sitting here waiting to be installed. I've had them laying around for a while now, just haven't gotten a chance to put them in. I'm sure I have the older disc though, hope it's not too much of a difference.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This clutch is very close to my texas drivetrain performance stage 2 there a great clutch. The tick mc is also very nice.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:54 PM
Staging Lane

Do you think the 18lb flywheel affected the performance or feel of the vehical any. Does it feel like it revs better or seem like you need to give it more throttle to excelerate from a dead stop compaired to stock? Im awnting to get theis same clutch kit but Im undecided on the flywheel. Thanks
Old 05-02-2011, 05:48 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mtuggle86
This clutch is very close to my texas drivetrain performance stage 2 there a great clutch. The tick mc is also very nice.
Actually it's not, TDP uses 12" pressure plates and a dual friction unit. My setups are 11" units which have quite a bit more plate load than his, plus, we use a carbon/organic unit which allows the clutch to last as long if not longer than stock. We haven't used a 12" dual friction clutch for over a year now, we just haven't updated our site.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:49 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Dracer35
Do you think the 18lb flywheel affected the performance or feel of the vehical any. Does it feel like it revs better or seem like you need to give it more throttle to excelerate from a dead stop compaired to stock? Im awnting to get theis same clutch kit but Im undecided on the flywheel. Thanks
Nice talking with you today, we appreciate the order!
Old 05-02-2011, 05:52 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by APG12
NICE! I got my monster stage 2, Tick master and speed bleeder sitting here waiting to be installed. I've had them laying around for a while now, just haven't gotten a chance to put them in. I'm sure I have the older disc though, hope it's not too much of a difference.
The disc before this unit was a 100% Kevlar full faced setup, it's baby smooth and will hold the 525 rating. We discontinued the Kevlar 12" setup due to us changing up our 11" pressure plates to give them a much easier pedal effort (while still maintaining a 3500lbs+ plate load) which allowed us to use a friction that will increase longevity and horsepower/torque rating. Remember, our stuff is rated at the tire, not the flywheel!
Old 05-02-2011, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
Actually it's not, TDP uses 12" pressure plates and a dual friction unit. My setups are 11" units which have quite a bit more plate load than his, plus, we use a carbon/organic unit which allows the clutch to last as long if not longer than stock. We haven't used a 12" dual friction clutch for over a year now, we just haven't updated our site.
I know you changed it you post it everywhere on the site. Sorry I didn't get into a long story and say monster and tdp use to sell the same clutch now there slightly different.

Last edited by mtuggle86; 05-02-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:38 PM
FormerVendor

I know you changed it you post it everywhere on the site. Sorry I didn't get into a long story and say monster and tdp use to sell the same clutch now there slightly different.
Not sure where that came from but perhaps we both shouldn't be crapping in this guys thread. We've never sold the same clutch, this has been beat to death.

If you'd like to take this to pm's, emails, or phone calls I'd be more than happy to discuss the numerous and vast differences between my clutches and every other one produced on the market today, I'll even include plate load numbers. Don't believe everything you hear.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's my new TDP 12 inch stage 2 its rated at 600rwtq. It has a great pedal hardly any heavier then stock and no chatter. I can't see how your new stage 2 could be much better considering its a 11 inch disc and is rated for less power. Can you please explain why it is?

Im not trying to be a smart *** when I bought this it was between you and tdp. The plates might have been different but the discs look the same you can see where people could be a bit confused. Texas drivetrain performance just gave me a better price I have nothing against your product now Im just curious if either one is really any better then the other?

Attached Thumbnails 800 miles after Monster Stage 2, lightweight flywheel, Tick MC... HAPPY CUSTOMER-img_20101225_184720.jpg  

Last edited by mtuggle86; 05-02-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Dracer35
I had done a lot of researching on which flywheel to get. I came to the conclusion for the lightweight. I was a little afraid it would be hard to drive due to the lighter weight, but you have to understand the pressure plate is slightly heavier than stock, so the weight is counterbalanced a little bit, but with the 18lb flywheel, you still come out lighter than stock.

IMO, there is no reason not to get the lightweight flywheel, because I have zero issues driving it. Everyone was telling me it requires much more gas to get it started it, but I think that's just because it's not as slippable as stock. The clutch needs to grab quick and go, so that's where the RPMs need to come in at. Sometimes on a steep hill you might need a slight more tap on the throttle, but in no way is it extreme like I was led to believe. It is 100% streetable and daily driveable. Plus you have to learn to drive a new clutch all over again when you install it, so your driving habits will adapt very quickly. I do also feel my car pulls higher up top. Not like Z0MG HUGE GAIN, but it is noticeable, and I know its not placebo. Mainly in upper RPMs, it seems to gain RPMs quicker.

Last edited by HoLLo; 05-02-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:08 PM
FormerVendor

Here's my new TDP 12 inch stage 2 its rated at 600rwtq. It has a great pedal hardly any heavier then stock and no chatter. I can't see how your new stage 2 could be much better considering its a 11 inch disc and is rated for less power. Can you please explain why it is?

Im not trying to be a smart *** when I bought this it was between you and tdp. Texas drivetrain performance just gave me alot better price
I'm not going to get on here and pick apart Jason's clutch, it's a great piece for the price. I'm not willing to budge on pricing due to having sales agreements with my dealer and distributors world wide. We offer premium clutches at affordable pricing, you will get what you pay for. Here are a few things to keep in mind.

Those are rated at the flywheel - 600hp is roughly 510 rwhp using a 15% drivetrain loss. Mine are underrated, proven, and tested to 550rwhp which is 632.50 crank hp. While it is an 11" unit the plate load is considerably higher, 3500+ whereas the one you pictured is 2200-2500 give or take. The dual friction is only as strong as it's weakest link and since how I can't tell which friction he put on the other side of the button facing I can't really give you an educated guess on what the coefficient of friction is. If you would like you can send me that pressure plate and I'll test it on my inhouse plate load machine and tell you exactly what it is, but, there isn't any reason for that as I'm sure you've already got it in the car.

I will tell you that there is a huge difference in pricing between the two, we've got numerous custom parts that are included in our units - from the pressure plates to the flywheels, they are all made to my spec (not to mention the overhead). I can't and won't speak for Jason. He's a great guy, hell, despite our differences I still send him business. I will say that, from a business standpoint, I'll put my clutches up against any competitors units that are rated at the same hp/tq rating and will be confident we'll come out on top. In everything from lift/release, plate load, coefficient of friction, etc. ours are a premium setup.

When you buy a Monster you're not just buying a clutch, you're investing in your car. We have a proven warranty and a proven track record with thousands of clutches sold and still less than a 1% return/failure rate, to compare the two is a bit apples to oranges. Especially considering Ram, Textralia, and Centerforce all have dual friction units available and some of those are the same, if not cheaper, pricing than what you paid.

We consistently change with newer and better things. We didn't change our website because there have been a few guys out there literally duplicating our lineup of clutches and saying to people they are the same thing a different color. If you want to believe that then, by all means, purchase theirs.

I'm not sure what guys are going to do when we release carbon/carbon singles that will discontinue literally all the twins out there right now... we'll see.

Either way, I hope this answers your questions.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:17 PM
FormerVendor

Im not trying to be a smart *** when I bought this it was between you and tdp. The plates might have been different but the discs look the same you can see where people could be a bit confused. Texas drivetrain performance just gave me a better price I have nothing against your product now Im just curious if either one is really any better then the other?

I see that you edited this...

I haven't sold the disc that you pictured in over a year. We left that there for the guys who are attempting to copy us. That unit had my mix of ceramic and a modified version of my carbon/organic, it's not an off the shelf setup like you can buy from numerous suppliers. Because it used my more aggressive mix it had the tendency to chatter on occasion, I discontinued this because we developed the Kevlar setup that had a higher coefficient of friction and absolutely -zero- chatter.

My 12" HD pressure plates are far superior (IMHO) to what you have pictured. To the tune of around 400-600 lbs of plate load and a much better lift and release. They've been installed in numerous cars from 400rwhp to 750rwhp.

Again, you're going off a visual which doesn't educate or inform the consumer on anything other than eye candy. I've answered hundreds of phone calls on that picture, pretty much every customer wanted to know why they didn't get what was pictured. It was explained and they went on their way.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:19 PM
FormerVendor

I'm done posting in this thread, if you want more information my email address is Steve@MonsterClutches.com or better yet call me so we can go over things in detail.

I don't want to crap this thread up anymore than we already have.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:19 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Just wanted to post my thoughts on my recent clutch install. I installed a Monster Stage 2 (with their redesigned disc) kit, lightweight chromoly 18lb flywheel, new GM slave, Tick master cylinder, Tick speed bleeder. The Monster website has an image of an old Stage 2 disc rated at 525ftlb, and when I received the clutch, the disc looked like the Stage 1, just a little different. I called them up, and they inform me they redesigned the Stage 2 to be more street friendly and handle an extra 25 ftlb for a total of 550ftlb rating, don't be fooled by the looks, because they have not updated the website. The guys at Monster were great to talk to, they genuinely sounded like they appreciate your business, unlike some companies who don't care at all.

Here is the said disc.

I installed the Tick master cylinder a few days before the the clutch install, and after some adjustment even on a stock 107k mile clutch, and slave, it was no nice to rip through all the gears wide open without missing a beat. I installed the clutch that weekend and it went flawless, due to the ease of a lift!

I am now at 800 miles on the clutch, and 100% of the chatter is gone, the pedal and clutch has an amazing predictable feel, with a heavier than stock, but not super stiff pedal. The clutch is super streetable. It engages much like a stock clutch, but with more beef! And at WOT, it shifts like a dream; clutch grabs hard, I now hear 2nd gear hit the tires a lot harder. With the Tick, it lands every gear every time.

I have only one CON to this clutch.... I'm now afraid for my 10bolt!

Thumbs up to the guys at Tick for answering all my questions and providing great support and a great product.

Thumbs up to the guys at Monster for this awesome clutch and great customer service!
Sorry about the thread hijack! Thanks again for the purchase, feedback, and support of my products!
Old 05-02-2011, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not going to get on here and pick apart Jason's clutch, it's a great piece for the price. I'm not willing to budge on pricing due to having sales agreements with my dealer and distributors world wide. We offer premium clutches at affordable pricing, you will get what you pay for. Here are a few things to keep in mind.

Those are rated at the flywheel - 600hp is roughly 510 rwhp using a 15% drivetrain loss. Mine are underrated, proven, and tested to 550rwhp which is 632.50 crank hp. While it is an 11" unit the plate load is considerably higher, 3500+ whereas the one you pictured is 2200-2500 give or take. The dual friction is only as strong as it's weakest link and since how I can't tell which friction he put on the other side of the button facing I can't really give you an educated guess on what the coefficient of friction is. If you would like you can send me that pressure plate and I'll test it on my inhouse plate load machine and tell you exactly what it is, but, there isn't any reason for that as I'm sure you've already got it in the car.

Im not gonna lie thoughthis just sounds like marketing. We have a proven warranty and a proven track record with thousands of clutches sold and still less than a 1% return/failure rate, to compare the two is a bit apples to oranges. Especially considering Ram, Textralia, and Centerforce all have dual friction units available and some of those are the same, if not cheaper, pricing than what you paid. Jason also has the same 12month 12k mile warranty as you.
I will tell you that there is a huge difference in pricing between the two, we've got numerous custom parts that are included in our units - from the pressure plates to the flywheels, they are all made to my spec (not to mention the overhead). I can't and won't speak for Jason. He's a great guy, hell, despite our differences I still send him business. I will say that, from a business standpoint, I'll put my clutches up against any competitors units that are rated at the same hp/tq rating and will be confident we'll come out on top. In everything from lift/release, plate load, coefficient of friction, etc. ours are a premium setup.

When you buy a Monster you're not just buying a clutch, you're investing in your car. We have a proven warranty and a proven track record with thousands of clutches sold and still less than a 1% return/failure rate, to compare the two is a bit apples to oranges. Especially considering Ram, Textralia, and Centerforce all have dual friction units available and some of those are the same, if not cheaper, pricing than what you paid.

We consistently change with newer and better things. We didn't change our website because there have been a few guys out there literally duplicating our lineup of clutches and saying to people they are the same thing a different color. If you want to believe that then, by all means, purchase theirs.

I'm not sure what guys are going to do when we release carbon/carbon singles that will discontinue literally all the twins out there right now... we'll see.

Either way, I hope this answers your questions.
His clutch's are suppose to be rated at rwhp like yours atleast that's what his web site say's I was also told that by Jason and his posts on here. The other side of his clutch is Carbon/Kevlar. His stage 2 complete kit is priced higher then yours most of the time so its not like hes selling a low budget product. Like I said Im just wondering what the real differences are when I was trying to decide between them there was no real info so I just went off price. He Just happened to beat you by about $100 on the price so I went with him.

http://www.diamondclutch.com/index.p...d=49&Itemid=56

Last edited by mtuggle86; 05-03-2011 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I see that you edited this...

I haven't sold the disc that you pictured in over a year. We left that there for the guys who are attempting to copy us. That unit had my mix of ceramic and a modified version of my carbon/organic, it's not an off the shelf setup like you can buy from numerous suppliers. Because it used my more aggressive mix it had the tendency to chatter on occasion, I discontinued this because we developed the Kevlar setup that had a higher coefficient of friction and absolutely -zero- chatter.

My 12" HD pressure plates are far superior (IMHO) to what you have pictured. To the tune of around 400-600 lbs of plate load and a much better lift and release. They've been installed in numerous cars from 400rwhp to 750rwhp.

Again, you're going off a visual which doesn't educate or inform the consumer on anything other than eye candy. I've answered hundreds of phone calls on that picture, pretty much every customer wanted to know why they didn't get what was pictured. It was explained and they went on their way.
I get that you no longer sell that disc my point was just to show how people could get confused about the clutch's being the same thing.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Ok funny aside, this isn't the thread for debating clutches. This is my review and my experience with Monster.

I'm very pleased with this setup. With the relatively short time Monster has been producing these clutches, they have definitely built a strong reputation, product and support wise. I have no problem spending extra coin on them.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HoLLo
lol ya sorry that's my fault
Old 05-04-2011, 11:07 AM
TECH Junkie

^ Not a big deal... Just wanted to share my thoughts on the Tick/Monster setup with everyone.

Quick Reply: 800 miles after Monster Stage 2, lightweight flywheel, Tick MC... HAPPY CUSTOMER