Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

vertical shifter movement under heavier accel

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default vertical shifter movement under heavier accel

When I am under harder then normal acceleration, lets say 50%+ throttle I can visually see and feel my shiter lifting upwards. Depending how hard I accel is how much higher it will move. Now I am 100% sure this is not normal cause it didnt do it before, and my previous TA did not do this either. I searched and am fairly sure my trans mount is bad. Previous owner said he put in poly motor and trans mounts, but apprently its bad already? Does the difference in vertical movement based on throttle % make sense as to a bad trans mount? Also Ive only tested this once as I am afraid to get on it, but when I got on it pretty hard and let go of the gas, I heard a thud.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:44 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had my poly mounts in for years, and have never had my shifter do that...now with the rubber mounts, it moved a fair amount, and I did get the occassional thud when launching at the track.

Get under there and verify whether or not the mounts are actually polyurethane...I'd be very surprised if a poly transmission mount actually failed, but it could happen. The rubber mount I replaced was ripped, and caused my issues that the poly mount fixed.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:54 AM
FormerVendor

I agree with Steve. It would be very strange to see a poly mount fail like that. If it is poly it might have just came loose. Definitely get under the car and inspect it.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say the nut on the poly mount came loose, it has happened on my car.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

ill take a look tonight, wasnt quite sure how difficult it was but looks like an ez task
http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...y_mount_m6.htm

Thanks for the help guys, ill report back if I figure it out.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:31 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is a very easy task - 5 bolts and you'll be staring at it. Maybe you'll get lucky and find that the single bolt holding the cross member to the trans mount has backed off or something.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Job was easier then I thought. Went under there to remove the trans mount nut, the big 18mm one, and it was bearly on! Could unscrew it by hand. Torqued it down to 77ft/lbs and car drives normal again. The mount appears to be poly. Gotte say I can def feel the vibrations that people speak of when you get a poly trans mount, but im just glad the shifter doesnt move up when I get on it a little.

Quick Reply: vertical shifter movement under heavier accel