Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch not disengaging all the way?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99TransAm666
Finally fixed! Decided I was going to do it all over again so I bought a new clutch and slave. Also got the shim kit from Tick Performance. After measuring and making sure of my measurements I found out it needed to be shimmed after all. I fell for the "no, it doesnt need to be shimmed" line the first time. From my experience, I would measure for ANY clutch. It only takes a couple minutes and could save you $$$. Hopefully this will help someone else in the future.
So was it the MC that fixed it? Or shimming your flywheel/clutch? My car is doing the same thing, just put a new spec 3 clutch flywheel together and today i couldnt get it out of reverse.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The flywheel and clutch is not shimmed, it's the slave cylinder that receives a shim to adjust it's depth.

Another vote for the Tick MC. Been running it for over a year now, and I can't recall a single missed shift yet.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:21 AM
FormerVendor

Austin, Did you check the measurements provided relative to the need for the shim? Let me know what you measured and I will be happy to assist you further. Thanks!
Old 05-19-2012, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Austin, Did you check the measurements provided relative to the need for the shim? Let me know what you measured and I will be happy to assist you further. Thanks!
No, we didn't measure anything. When I got my clutch kit there weren't any intstructions for anything. Im not exactly sure what needs to be shimmed here. We also did the drill mod for the stock master. My car has 124k on it... Sorry for the thread hijack OP, glad to hear you got yours up and runnin.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:07 AM
TECH Junkie

The shims that everyone speaks of get installed between the slave cylinder and transmission. Some clutches need them, some do not. I know I've seen a specific illustration on here showing how to properly measure a clutch to determine if shims are needed. I'm just on a terribly slow computer right now and don't feel like searching
Old 05-22-2012, 09:42 AM
Staging Lane

Damn I wish I would have seen something about this shimming before I put my clutch in. Mine goes into gear while sitting and driving slow, but fast shifts it doesn't like. I have to really push the pedal to get it to shift smoothly. Going to try vacuum bleeding tomorrow but I am feeling like it needs a shim...
Old 05-22-2012, 11:03 AM
FormerVendor

I am not sure where your kit was purchased but assuming it was new it should have included warranty info/installation notes and shimming instruction which are in a bag with the shim. I can forward the instructions to you if you like. Just let me know your email address. Thanks,
Old 05-23-2012, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am not sure where your kit was purchased but assuming it was new it should have included warranty info/installation notes and shimming instruction which are in a bag with the shim. I can forward the instructions to you if you like. Just let me know your email address. Thanks,
I bought the kit from LMperformance. The clutch I had on there was the spec 3 also and it drove ok, so Im thinking there is already a shim in there. Or at least I hope! Haha. Yes and if you would, please send those instructions to austinma62@hotmail.com Thank you
Old 05-23-2012, 02:58 PM
FormerVendor

Sent! Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks,
Old 05-23-2012, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sent! Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks,
Thanks. I bought a tick performance master. Im almost positive thats what went wrong. If not, looks like the trans is comin down and getting a shim

Quick Reply: Clutch not disengaging all the way?