Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Monster stage 3 driveability.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a level 3 with a lightweight flywheel in my dd for 15k miles and i'm not even close to tired of it. I always say that my brother, whose never even owned a stick shift and has rarely driven them had absolutely no trouble with it... not a bit of chatter.
I feel like the people that have trouble with it are those who try and drive it like a normal ls1/ls6 clutch or those who don't break it in properly.

It will start squealing eventually on starts if you don't take of quickly/beat on it frequently. I just let it glaze and slip it cause people that rode with me holding a drink would always complain about me "driving my car like a douche bag" haha. But the squeal goes away almost instantly when you beat on it a bit. first pass at a drag strip it was gone
Old 06-24-2015, 07:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Zombie thread.....

When you guys say "beat on it" when it starts to chatter what exactly do you mean? You mean just some full throttle blasts or do you mean a high rpm dump? What are we talking about here? I will be putting one in my car soon so just curious. I have heard other people say the same "beat on it" thing in the past. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

The monster stage 3 will be my next clutch . My brother just installed it on his h/c/i 00 firehawk with a tick master and a 18lb flywheel . I would go with the heavier flywheel myself ,but maybe since im used to a 28lb wheel . The clutch wasnt bad , i hopped right in his car for the first time and just had to give it a few more revs to make it good . it felt good and didnt chatter for me .

edit , the pedal is actually lighter and easier than my act gm9 hdss clutch .
Old 06-24-2015, 09:10 AM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Zombie thread.....

When you guys say "beat on it" when it starts to chatter what exactly do you mean? You mean just some full throttle blasts or do you mean a high rpm dump? What are we talking about here? I will be putting one in my car soon so just curious. I have heard other people say the same "beat on it" thing in the past. Thanks.
three years isn't even close to the record for a zombie thread

Mine only chatters if I try to granny drive it and feather the crap out of it. It does squeal from dead stop quite often, and that can get annoyed looks at stop lights. Funny thing is, it never squeals in reverse. Go figure.

If I simply chirp the tires leaving a stop light, it doesn't squeal, and typically the next couple of starts from dead stop it doesn't, but it always comes back. I would say a 1500 rpm clutch dump is more than enough to deglaze it.

If you are doing it with the tick master, you'll notice increased pedal effort, but you'll get used to it. I didn't realize how heavy much clutch was until I drove my father's car for a week and got used to it. Then I got back in my car and realized it's pretty heavy, until I got used to it again.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:16 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks. So just a quick, mildly violent dump will clear it up?

I do have a Tick that will be going in as well.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I got the Monster Stage 3 with the lightweight flywheel and it's my daily. Chatters a lot in stop and go traffic but once you get some space just do a little clutch dump, spinning the tires isn't even necessary. Chatter gone.

Over 10,000 miles like this and still going strong.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll give my 2 cents for what it's worth. I've had the Monster Stage 3 clutch with Tick master cylinder for over a year now, and I absolutely love it. My car is not a daily drive, but I could daily drive it with this clutch setup without issues. The clutch pedal is not much stiffer than it was stock and it engages nicely. The beauty is that it's rated at 700rwhp/700rwtq, so I've got plenty of room to grow. I purchased it back when Tick Performance was running a special on the whole package deal.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:29 PM

Thanks. So just a quick, mildly violent dump will clear it up? I do have a Tick that will be going in as well.
Yep. You just have to drive it like you hate the rear axle from time to time. I sort of like what the guy said in the older post - drive it like a douchebag.

I was thinking like Phoenix - room to grow - when I got it.

Mine has 10k+ is daily driven, been in 16 months now, and I still haven't had to adjust the master.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'd say to spend a little more and get the lt1s twin. same holding
power, but 100% stock feel / driveability, with exception if you
are running the tick master.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a cartek 6 puck clutch with a lightweight flywheel and daily drove it for 4 years, clutch "squeeled" from light to light no matter how much I beat on it and literally yelled at me when I first got in the car and drove. When I switched to the monster stage 2 it was a night and day difference, if a person can't drive that clutch and somehow get chatter with it, well then there's a problem with the unit itself. I much preferred the stage 2 for driving everyday. If you're not frequenting the track, I'd throw the stage 3 out the window as there is no use for it, especially if your driving everyday rain or shine.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:03 AM
TECH Addict

Mine is not a daily driver. Has seen about 200 miles so far this year. Maybe 600 last year. I found a deal i couldnt pass up so I went for it. Bought the Tick a while back when there was a group buy on it.

Again, I'm just trying to figure out what people mean by beating on it when it starts to chatter or make noise.

The "like you hate your rear axle" comment is funny, and unfortunatley I know what I'm getting into. Monster 3 on one end, NT05R's at the other. Might be finding a weak link in the middle.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:21 AM

Mine is not a daily driver. Has seen about 200 miles so far this year. Maybe 600 last year. I found a deal i couldnt pass up so I went for it. Bought the Tick a while back when there was a group buy on it.

Again, I'm just trying to figure out what people mean by beating on it when it starts to chatter or make noise.

The "like you hate your rear axle" comment is funny, and unfortunatley I know what I'm getting into. Monster 3 on one end, NT05R's at the other. Might be finding a weak link in the middle.
You might indeed

Basically, the clutch glazes easily, so if you granny drive it, it'll make this rubbing noise that you get used to - or don't. If you show off from all your dead stops, it'll rarely make that rubbing noise or chatter. Quicker engagements seem to cut through the glaze - temporarily

Mine chattered at first, but it turned out it was excessive grease from the ARP install got ont he friction material. Once that burned off, quit chattering.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

Got it. Makes sense. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:48 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got it. Makes sense. Thanks.
Shoot me a PM or give us a call if you have any more questions.

Quick Reply: Monster stage 3 driveability.