Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spec or Monster should be able to help you out no problem. Maybe they might know of a shop in your area too? If you're finding one all on your own, I'd make sure the shop had done a few before and by that I mean installed a non self adjusting clutch into an F-body. Maybe there's an F-body forum in your area you could check with? Hopefully some of your local guys will post some suggestions on here!
Old 07-04-2011, 12:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For your power level you'd only need a Level 1, but if you'd like some room to grow a Level 2 is good for 550rwhp. What are your goals? Our clutch has install tips included for anyone who is mechanically inclined to do it. Feel free to call me with any questions. Chris, 817-750-2000
Old 07-10-2011, 03:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In time it will get LTs, ported heads and a cam so Id guess the stage 2 would be best. thanks for the help.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

75K is a lot of mileage if you're still running the original clutch ( cough cough ). lol

Old 07-10-2011, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bearcatt
75K is a lot of mileage if you're still running the original clutch ( cough cough ). lol

Dont know if its the original, I just purchased the car from a local dealer and dont have much info about mods. Hope the cough gets better you should see someone about that.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gs462
Dont know if its the original, I just purchased the car from a local dealer and dont have much info about mods. Hope the cough gets better you should see someone about that.

I hope your clutch gets better it sounds like you definetly need to do something with that.

BTW ... ( cough cough = hint hint )

Old 07-10-2011, 05:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I hope your clutch gets better it sounds like you definetly need to do something with that.

BTW ... ( cough cough = hint hint )

I know that I was being a smartass back to you're comment. Wouldnt it have just been easier to say what you meant?
Old 07-10-2011, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gs462
I know that I was being a smartass back to you're comment. Wouldnt it have just been easier to say what you meant?
LOL ... I think you'll get it figured out eventually, plus there's plenty of us around that are glad to help when we can. Many of us have been through what you are experiencing now.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

LOL ... I think you'll get it figured out eventually, plus there's plenty of us around that are glad to help when we can. Many of us have been through what you are experiencing now.

Thanks, My last an only other ls 1 car was an auto so this is a whole new problem I havent dealt with before me
Old 07-10-2011, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

mine was having an hydrolic issue, but after a clutch master cylinder and a full fluid flush and bleed, its great now.

i wrapped the line going to the trans in 1200* tape. i even wrapped the aluminum heat sheild in the same tape.

works like a dream now.

but mines a 2002 Camaro SS LE with 48,xxx miles.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes sometimes the hydraulics and clutches can be finicky on all these 6 Speed GM cars. Eventually we get the gremlims worked out.

At least a clutch job is fairly easy on the F-bodies. I pulled my tranny
out a half of dozen times... doing clutches, rebuilding and swapping trannies, etc.

When the time comes for a clutch on my Vette, it will be much more challenging unless I just saying screw it and have it done at Vette shop.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:27 AM
Teching In

My fluid is fresh DOT 3, my master cyl. Is a replacement auto zone duralast master cyl, the line is a aftermarket Mcleod, and the slave cyl. Is a new gm slave w/new bearing. I'm at my witts end already since there is no way to test either the master cyl. Or slave pressure wise. My clutch grabs like an animal and there is no chattering or smell or anything to do with the clutch having an issue as far as I can tell. I'll bleed it 10 times and it'll work awesome until it starts acting like a delicate little princess leaving me stranded and forcing to start the car in gear.....which I know has got to be hell on synchros. I want to upgrade to a tick master cyl. I don't mind spending the 300 bucks if its going to eliminate this nightmare I'm having but if it doesn't then I guess I gotta pull the trans out.....again.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:26 PM

Default 2nd to 3rd clutch on floor

i have done my research and finally found after cylinders fluid tips and tricks the problem most people have and never discover is the pressure plate... go figure. the pressure plate in most ls1 cars wears out in a unique way that allows for the pedal to drop but still supplying power to the tranny.

PS. I had highly experienced auto mechanics scratching their heads for months on this and when i discovered what was going on they all agreed that was possible but again a very unique problem.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:20 AM
Teching In

Having same problem on my 99 trans am with m6. Lose about half of clutch pressure when hammering it and much harder to get into gear during..
Clutch pressure and shifting is normal under normal daily driving but not when pushed..
Just put new clutch kit including slave cylinder and filled and bled with new fluid. Didn't do this until I hit about 1 thousand miles ...only clutch related part I didn't change was the lines and the clutch reservoir/master. Not sure what to do either....

Quick Reply: Clutch help needed