Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch shim question

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 06:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch shim question

I was having some problems with early clutch engagement so i decided to remove my transmission and measure to see if a shim was needed. I measured 2 1/4 inches from bell housing and from the slave cylinder I got 2". If i measured everything correctly i guessing that i should add a 1/8 shim to my slave. Does this sound right?
Old 07-10-2011, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

Here's a write up from tick performance it was posted on this site a while ago.

"During your next clutch install, determine if your slave cylinder needs to be shimmed or not. To do so, you need to take two measurements:

1. Measurement "A" is the distance between the surface of the bellhousing that meets the transmission to the tip of the pressure plate fingers. To get an accurate measurement, the clutch must be torqued properly.
2. Measurement "B" is the distance between the throwout bearing surface to the transmission surface that meets the bellhousing. To get an accurate measurement, the slave spring must be removed and the bearing must be fully seated at the bottom of it's travel; resting on the slave's base.

Once you've got your two measurements, make sure that measurement "B" is ~1/16" to 1/8" LESS than measurement "A". If you come up with more than 1/8", add an appropriately sized shim between the slave and the transmission in order to get the measurements where they need to be.

If there is no difference between the two measurements, or if "B" is greater than "A", there could be a problem with clutch engagement which could result in premature clutch slip and eventually a total failure.

Here at Tick Performance, we're always in pursuit of new ways to get you guys shifting as quickly & efficiently as possible. Determining if your setup needs a shim or not is quick, easy and cheap way to ensure proper function and long life out of your next clutch.

Good luck guys!"

Hope this helps a little
Old 07-11-2011, 01:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, info here: http://www.tickperformance.com/produ...115%22%29.html
Old 07-11-2011, 04:11 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys but does it sound right my measurements.

Quick Reply: clutch shim question