Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New clutch goes in tomm any step on how to remove shifter console on a c5??

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 09:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New clutch goes in tomm any step on how to remove shifter console on a c5??

i am doing my first clutch swap tomm and i see where i have to remove the shifter i dont want to tear up my console on my Z any advice?
Old 07-22-2011, 09:46 AM
Staging Lane

Piece of cake. I don't remember the sizes of the hex tool you need for the dash and shifter removal, but that is all you need.

Remove panel below the steering wheel
Remove the plastic vent looking piece near the ignition switch where you will then see a screw underneath it. this is where the temp sensor for inside the car is located.

Pop off the cover where the traction control button is and unhook the plugs.
Open the center console and pop off the bolt covers (4) and use a 10 mm socket and remove the nuts off the bolt.

Then slide the center console piece back out towards the rear of the car, you will need to unhook the gas door release plug before this will come out completely. then remove the center section that is around the shifter, a/c controls, radio, etc. This will then expose the shifter. There are 3 hex bolts that you need to remove, 2 are on the base holding the shifter, then on that is on the shaft of the shifter linkage. then you can remove the shifter.

Trying to remember this off memory, but I have had mine out 3-4 times, takes 5 min.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:51 AM
Staging Lane

THANX MAN! And you happend to know if there is any way around haveing to removed the whole rear suspensin to do a clutch swap? Ive read many stickies and they all say that is a part of the swap. Someone told me you can lossen up the trans and get the tube out withought doing so?
Old 07-22-2011, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

Think you would have to drop down the frame on the back end and disconnect the suspension to get the Tq tube to move back..

Quick Reply: New clutch goes in tomm any step on how to remove shifter console on a c5??