Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pro 5.0 + Lou's Short Stick Users Come on in!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you are a 6'6" giant, your hands are probably too big for LSS (and mine are). getting my hand on that damn thing is tough. i went with jarrod's stick on the stock hurst shifter. it's a bit taller than lou's. i can powershift through every gear, and i think it's nearly impossible to 1-2-1.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had a ripper in my car when i bought it, and it was ok for normal everyday driving, but when i went to hang gears in it, i would miss gears so much it drove my crazy. I missed 3rd, i backshifted 1-2-1, it sucked. So I invested in a Pro 5.0 with a LSS and I haven't looked back. It feels a little notchy sometimes, but is REALLY great when it comes to racing. Just grab it and rip and your shifts will really improve. Now when I race on ET's i launch about 5500 and then just put my foot on the floor and slap the clutch to shift and just grab gears without lifting my foot. Its great!
Old 03-10-2004, 12:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats what I like to hear. Sounds like you were in my boat. Now I just need some $$$ to buy the set-up. Thanks!

Originally Posted by SSEUL8R
I had a ripper in my car when i bought it, and it was ok for normal everyday driving, but when i went to hang gears in it, i would miss gears so much it drove my crazy. I missed 3rd, i backshifted 1-2-1, it sucked. So I invested in a Pro 5.0 with a LSS and I haven't looked back. It feels a little notchy sometimes, but is REALLY great when it comes to racing. Just grab it and rip and your shifts will really improve. Now when I race on ET's i launch about 5500 and then just put my foot on the floor and slap the clutch to shift and just grab gears without lifting my foot. Its great!
Old 03-10-2004, 10:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
I hate the stock Z28 "Ball" even more now.
-Mike

those are the biggest POS's ever
Old 03-10-2004, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

Um... could someone still explain what the "notchy" feel is? I have the factory Hurst/lss, and want to know the difference b/w the two. Notchy? Please explain.
Old 03-10-2004, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if I'd call it "notchy" but you certainly do feel the gears engage and the spring that trys to draw you towards nuetral is noticible on every shift.
I notice a little more noise especially going into forth quickly on mine but I have the stock boots so it dampens a lot of noise that folks complain about. Overall the more I drive with the 5.0 and LSS the more I like it.
-Mike
Old 03-10-2004, 07:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you are a 6'6" giant, your hands are probably too big for LSS (and mine are). getting my hand on that damn thing is tough
Being 6'5" I know the feeling,
I have the Pro 5.0/LSS combo and it was a pain in the *** with the **** I was using, felt like I was reaching down into the console to shift. I dug up an Aluminum Pistol Grip Handle for it and absolutely love it now. The handle adds a little bit of height to it which accommodates the big paws, not to mention making a great grip. I can’t see complaining about the “notchyness”, I like to know when I’m in gear.

Also, during the initial install I used the boot that was on the factory hurst and put it on my Pro 5.0 but I recently took it off because it was starting to bind, much smoother without it.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:43 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm installing this exact combo tomorrow and really looking forward to it. The stock shifter in my WS6 is absolute garbage.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:35 PM
TECH Regular

Anyone have any pictures of an F-body with the Hurst pistol grip shifter? I think it looks kinda tacky, but might get it for its effectiveness. Function is the main priority I guess, I might buy one just to use at the track and **** and have a good looking white ball for car shows and street cruising.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Second_Infinity
Um... could someone still explain what the "notchy" feel is? I have the factory Hurst/lss, and want to know the difference b/w the two. Notchy? Please explain.
Best way I know to explain it is the shifter being very tight and you can feel along the gates and into the gears as you move the stick.

I also have the Hurst/LSS and it was quite a bit notchier feeling than the stock stick and overall after 20K+ miles I love it and have no problems hitting gears. Perfect feel IMO.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:07 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After driving with this setup for a week, I know exactly what everyone was talking about when they described it as "notchy". You can feel each phase of the shift, for example, 1st to neutral to second each has a distinct feel to it. I really like this combo a lot. The only thing I don't really care for is that reverse is a little tough to engage.

Quick Reply: Pro 5.0 + Lou's Short Stick Users Come on in!