Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help me pick a transmission for my project

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me pick a transmission for my project

I apologize for asking what's no doubt been asked a thousand times, but doing a search for "T56" returns, well, everything.

So with that in mind, if those of you who didn't already click the back button are willing to offer some advice, I'd appreciate it.

I'm building an LS3-headed 402 for my IROC. Plan is for 500-ish RWHP, and maybe (though not real likely) a 150 shot down the road if I ever get board with 500RWHP.

The rear end will likely be a 9" Moser with 3.70 gears.

The car will be primarily a street car, with a few annual floggings at the strip.

I don't think I want to gamble on a used trans, because let's face it, by now most of them have high miles and lots of abuse. I'm looking at a Magnum, and that appeals to me because it gives me the option to run my stock gauges for a while (mechanical speedo), but I don't know of anybody that's put one into a thirdgen, so I'm a bit unsure of what type of unique hurdles I may encounter. I see a lot of people offering a T6060 in T56 housings, but most are a bit out of my budget range. Lastly, I see TDP offering newly rebuilt T56s for $2k... that's looking very appealing to me, provided that the option list doesn't wind up pushing it into the same cost category as the Magnum.

Anybody have any opinions/ideas/suggestions?
Old 08-14-2011, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I sold my corvette today, so I've got the money to start transmission shopping. Anybody have any suggestions/advice on what trans would best meet my needs?
Old 08-15-2011, 09:21 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Gonna high-RPM it? Go triple/double cone build from TDP. On slicks? Add the SSR output.
Not gonna RPM it? An F-body box w/ normal upgrades and Viper output if on slicks.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmd
Gonna high-RPM it? Go triple/double cone build from TDP. On slicks? Add the SSR output.
Not gonna RPM it? An F-body box w/ normal upgrades and Viper output if on slicks.
The vast majority of the time spent with this car will be street time, most of that being back and forth to work once or twice a week (65 miles round trip). I want a good shifting transmission, but I obviously need it to also hold up for the occasional track visit.

Once I get too deep into T56 mods, the price goes as high or higher than a T56 magnum.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like an awesome project.