Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

WTF did I do wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 11:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default WTF did I do wrong?

ok so I just completed my a4-m6 swap, bled the clutch with the car in the air, pedal felt good and everything. got it on the ground and tried to put it into gear and it won't go. I have a good full pedal, I have tried bleeding it again to great length and made no difference. I can start the car in gear with the clutch to the floor and it tries to pull some, but if i let up on the pedal any at all it stalls out. I think I may have an incompatibility issue with my setup or a bad pressure plate. here is what I am running:

stock ls1 f-body flywheel (resurfaced)
clutch disc from 99 corvette
pressure plate from same 99 corvette
slave cylinder/throwout from same vette
stock f-body master cylinder

will the corvette PP not work with the f-body flywheel? or is there a difference in throw with the slave cylinder? or has the pressure plate gone bad? all parts are used
Old 08-27-2011, 08:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a new slave and throw out bearing.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:39 AM
Staging Lane

i have the same problem i think its your flywheel make sure its in spec do not replace your salve cylinder unless its leaking and once again u need to just get a new flywheel if you come up with any thing differnt let me know and did you use fatory presure plate bolts
Old 08-27-2011, 09:43 AM
Staging Lane

and if its been surfeced more than once the its probaly outta spec
Old 08-27-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Regular

just thought of something that I'm not sure if it would cause this. I am using a clutch master cylinder from a v6 f-body. would that be the problem? I was under the impression they were all the same
Old 08-28-2011, 12:11 AM
TECH Regular

well, my dad was able to lay under the car with a small mirror and look through the bleeder opening and watch the throwout bearing operation. he said it looked like it wasn't very compressed with the pedal relaxed, and with it depressed, it only moved about 1/2". is that normal? we also moved the point where the master cylinder attatches to the pedal down about 1" to gain more throw and it made minimal difference. so, it appears I may need to shim the slave cylinder. does this sound right? where could I get shims to do this?
Old 08-28-2011, 07:45 PM
TECH Regular

found and solved the problem. just for any future reference you CAN NOT use a corvette slave cylinder on an f-body. I installed a new f-body one and works good now. finally got to drive my car with the 6 speed

Quick Reply: WTF did I do wrong?